Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2807 / Visits Today: 1516
Highest Active Users: 2807
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Bush Hog Restoration
 Bush Hog JBI Repower
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  19:02:15  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Putting a monster sized engine in my JBI. It fits under the hood, but had to raise hood & dash 1 1/2" to clear spark plugs. It's a Wisconsin TJD twin. Factory says 18.2hp @ 3600rpm, but the HP rating doesn't do it justice as it's a monster torquer for sure. It came off an old Yazoo rider I picked up. I will be using the 60" deck off the Yazoo to build a pull type mower that will run off the rear PTO that I am adding to the tractor. That's why I wanted the big strong engine. It mowed like crazy on the Yazoo, but it had little traction & was a beast to operate, to say the least. The engine had been rebuilt & runs great. I now have engine fitted properly & mounting holes drilled, cut a slot in foot panel to build a driveshaft hump as it had to be raised 1" and would have been touching on the front end. Have raised dash also. Here's a couple pics in start stage.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  16:48:29  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the engine mounted, alternator added, driveshaft hooked up.......yes, she's driving again! That engine sure fills her up & is powerful to boot! Here's a couple pics & a short video clip of it going.

VIDEO LINK BELOW http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Bush%20Hog%20Jabalina%201/?action=view¤t=MOV00088.flv

Edited by - olcowhand on 11/05/2007 16:55:15
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  16:57:00  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not bought an electric fuel pump yet to pull fuel from tank in fender box, so had to strap a small tank to dash tower to gravity flow to carb.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  17:01:12  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, here's where I mounted the tank. It was originally in front of engine, but as you can see in pics...no room now! Battery was here in right fender box, but moved it to other side. Fuel tank wasn't as good a fit on left side.

One of my box lids was gone, so made one from scratch. Took a half hour to make with vise & hammer. first is oe, second mine.

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  20:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent project and nice work. Sounds good too. Cannot ever have too much power.

I'm curious to know/see if the alternator mounted between the frame and engine causes a problem over time.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  02:22:20  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool video link! What's that grill doing? Is it me or is it taking a bite as you drive it? As I look through your photo's I see there is some decorative flap on the grill... Looks weird in the video. Thanks for sharing!

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  11:22:00  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael, the thing on the grill is just a guard of sorts. In the clip, the grainy resolution makes it look like it's moving, but it's solid. I will be making a REAL bumper for this when I get to it. Sure rather a bumper take an "oopsy" than the sheet-metal.
Roy, there was no "good" way to mount alternator to the engine, so I went this route. I don't expect any problems, but never say never!

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  16:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel,

You might get lucky with your alternator mount but in my experience anything mounted solid between an engine and frame will eventually crack and break something.

All depends upon how much the engine vibrates and how much the frame twists.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  17:36:33  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Daniel,

You might get lucky with your alternator mount but in my experience anything mounted solid between an engine and frame will eventually crack and break something.

All depends upon how much the engine vibrates and how much the frame twists.

I suppose if I have a problem, then I just need to relocate the belt adjustment bracket off the engine to frame. Then only the belt would be connected to engine & should be fine that way.

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  00:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I suppose if I have a problem, then I just need to relocate the belt adjustment bracket off the engine to frame. Then only the belt would be connected to engine & should be fine that way."

Hopefully it will work "as is" and you will never have to revise the mounting brackets.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  22:28:11  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B112

Very cool video link! What's that grill doing? Is it me or is it taking a bite as you drive it? As I look through your photo's I see there is some decorative flap on the grill... Looks weird in the video. Thanks for sharing!

Michael, the tractor is just talking! Haven't you ever watched Bob the builder?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  09:38:05  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

quote:
Originally posted by B112

Michael, the tractor is just talking! Haven't you ever watched Bob the builder?

If it's talking, then it's likely giving me a good cussing!
All this time it's led a nice cushy life just lazily parked.... then I come along!

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  11:29:56  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the repower part is done, so I moved on to the next stage...adding rear PTO system. Many parts came off the Yazoo mower I cannibalized, but spent another $150 in half-shaft & bearings, etc. Added the jackshaft under engine with tensioner system to engage. A cable from foot pedal engages/disengages the pto belts.
Here's the jackshaft

Here's PTO shaft sneaking between hydro pump & differential.

Here's the rear Universal just before output shaft.

And the output. I used two 4-bolt flange bearings "back to back".

I had a driveshaft wobble at speed, so installed a "mid-shaft" stabilizing bearing block. She runs dead smooth now.

Here's the completed drive/tension system.

The hydr driveshaft had a bend in it, so while I had dash tower off I tried to straighten it. She BROKE! Luckily I had a piece of high grade 3/4" shaft, so cut to length & milled keyways for universals. Since it broke I have a much better shaft now, so breaking wasn't bad at all.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  16:58:59  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pretty nifty!

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  19:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work.

Is there clearance to remove the hydro filter?

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  20:38:39  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Nice work.

Is there clearance to remove the hydro filter?

Yep, just barely though! But barely is good enough for me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic