Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1765 / Visits Today: 1765
Highest Active Users: 1765
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Bush Hog Restoration
 JBI Prep for Paint
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  15:51:47  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started today to break the JBI down in prep for painting. Hated to stop using it, but if I don't get it started I never will get it done. Plus the lift is getting weak & a NOS hydro & diff will be going in. Didn't get too far today, but tomorrow is my day off cow duty, so should get lots more taken apart.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Edited by - olcowhand on 10/31/2008 15:53:30

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  20:35:45  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the hydro & diff out today. Needed more structural work. Found some cracked welds, plus the rear plate & the metal the 3pt cylinder pinned to were warped quite a bit. Decided to get out the torch, heat & straighten these spots, then re-weld, plus reinforce some areas not strong enough from the factory. Added bracing to the cylinder mounbt and to the diff tube mount plates. Look over my welding please. Was shaky as a leaf in the wind today, but the welds will hold...just trust me on that! This tractor will be put to work, so I wanted to do this right as I go.

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  22:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel,

Your welds look fine to me.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  21:28:45  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the hydro pump & diff tubes/hubs painted a few days ago. Using straight enamel, but adding "wet look" hardener for shine & durability.

Edited by - olcowhand on 11/08/2008 21:29:02
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  22:32:01  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that hydro pump looks familiar.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  22:45:46  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

that hydro pump looks familiar.

The pump is a "Hydrogear" unit. Not sure who built the diff, but may be a Peerless.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  22:48:09  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel, when do you sleep?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  22:57:53  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

Daniel, when do you sleep?

LOL...I don't get near enough sleep! Most nights I get to sleep around 11pm & get up at 5am...some nights not that much. Today I awoke at 5, milked the cows, then some general farm chores, then headed to the funeral of my 2nd cousin. He was 86yrs old. After that I rushed home to bury a cow that died yesterday along with 2 baby calves born dead....had to pull them last night. The cow was a 1st calf heifer & after she calved she hemorraged to death. Immediately rushed to do afternoon feeding/milking. My son's day off, so all is on my plate today. My days can be so hectic that I can't sleep well, so I have to stay up till I know I can fall asleep easy. Tomorrow is my day off, so wanting to get as much as possible done to the JB. Deer season is in, but my tractor is much more important to me. Besides...here in "Ball Hollow", the hunting season is slightly extended.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  20:20:04  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If nothing goes wrong, the red portions of the JB will get shot with paint tomorrow. Have the shop furnace on low setting to keep metal kinda warm...well, not so cool. I'll ramp the thermostat up in the morning. I'm not trying to get this one as slick as possible. Just too many other things to get done, and if I wait till I can do a slick polish job...it'll never get done. Besides, this is gonna be a working tractor, so it'll get battle scars soon enough. It'll still likely come out a decent paint job....I hope! I'll get some pics tomorrow evening if paint hits metal.

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  21:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I am a poor painter and hate to paint I am looking forward to seeing your results.

Carry on,

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  21:52:08  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually I'm a nervous wreck when I go to paint. All the hard work and things sometimes go horribly wrong. I sprayed a windjammer windshield for my Gold Wing Honda I used to have. Paint went on beautifully. After shooting it I went in the house for a cup of coffee. Came out just 5 minutes later & it was a horrible mess. looked like I sprayed over oil. Never knew what cause it, but I had to quickly use rags with paint thinner to remove all the paint. When I re-shot it, it came out (& stayed) perfect! I think this will go ok, mainly need the metal warmed enough. I should have pics linked tomorrow evening. Next day latest. BTW...going with Massey red instead of New Holland red. The NH is just too dark for my tastes. I have plenty MF red, so just hafta re-shoot the axle tubes & hydro unit.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  15:29:16  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a LOT of spots fish-eye on me. Fought it all day & finally won! It's not my best job, but in the pics it looks great. Not bad in real life, just not my best, but never planned for it to be, so I'm happy!

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  15:30:51  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this coming week I can get the hood & other black parts painted...I'm not holding my breath though.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  19:52:33  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy the red sure looks sharp. I love red almost as much as I do orange. What happened to your avatar?

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 11/23/2008 19:53:23
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  20:32:12  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, nobody has an avatar on my end??????

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  21:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All that very shiny red paint is disgusting.

Carry on,

Roy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic