Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3506 / Visits Today: 1189
Highest Active Users: 3506
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 beaver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

joe fess

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  08:40:58  Show Profile Send joe fess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
came by this sight while killing time.my grandfather had one from early 50s and it remains in the family at my brothers house.i remember plowing snow with it,heavy strong machine.it had about a 6 hp wisconson forward/reverse gear and no brakes.they were made in ct. local to me.

Edited by - joe fess on 02/11/2012 12:09:45

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  10:37:02  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I wonder if there is a cable between the steering wheel and the front axle?

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

joe fess

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:06:48  Show Profile Send joe fess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my grandfathers had the tiller steering, very simple.it had lead front wheel weights and cal. filled single rear ag tires.it was a rope start engine.
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe...I really, really like that machine! I have something new to add to my tractor searches! My local tractor guru might have something from them. I'll have to ask him next time I drop in.

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:51:40  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/grd/2800443768.html

Go to Top of Page

canawler

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:54:34  Show Profile  Visit canawler's Homepage Send canawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

Interesting. I wonder if there is a cable between the steering wheel and the front axle?

The top picture is tiller steering.
The bottom one does use a cable. I've heard they're pretty imprecise, to say the least.

Here's a pic of one from a local show.

---Jim
'74 Allis-Chalmers Homesteader 8 X2
'67 Simplicity Broadmoor 717
'74 MTD 990
'67? Pennsylvania Meteor 1010
'93 Troybilt GTX-18
Go to Top of Page

joe fess

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  12:04:13  Show Profile Send joe fess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://beavertractor.com/history.html hear is a link to a sight about them.chris according to history they did have a cable system,not very good.

Edited by - joe fess on 02/11/2012 12:11:53
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  12:57:55  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the tiller models with the sheet metal over the engine. Kinda reminds me of oldron's Gibson.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

joe fess

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  15:17:57  Show Profile Send joe fess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the front grill was steel and the top was a form of plastic. it had the most friendly system to use press on front of footrest for forward heal of it for reverse,that is it
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  19:03:17  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy did I blow that. In the second photo it looks to me like the guy is holding a small steering wheel. Now after doing a little reading I see these things are tiller steer. So much for cables in a pipe

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  19:29:41  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris apparently they made them both ways as the second tractor does indeed have a steering wheel. Note the support for the steering "column".

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  00:15:50  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Note the support for the steering "column".

I noticed that but couldn't tell for sure what it was. I wonder how they transfer the torque around the curve?

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

midnightpumpkin

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  04:24:28  Show Profile Send midnightpumpkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

"Note the support for the steering "column".

I noticed that but couldn't tell for sure what it was. I wonder how they transfer the torque around the curve?

Flexible shaft inside a rigid tube???

John U
Go to Top of Page

canawler

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  09:49:20  Show Profile  Visit canawler's Homepage Send canawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin

Flexible shaft inside a rigid tube???

John U

Yes. As mentioned, not very precise.

---Jim
'74 MTD 990
'93 Troybilt GTX-18
Go to Top of Page

canawler

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  10:26:42  Show Profile  Visit canawler's Homepage Send canawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just at a show yesterday that had one of each type of steering setup for the Beavers.

Here's a good side by side comparison.

---Jim
'74 MTD 990
'93 Troybilt GTX-18
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  21:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Very neat Jim. I don't think I could ever pass on one if I ran across it. Those are neat...slim little buggers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic