Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1749 / Visits Today: 1586
Highest Active Users: 1749
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 AC 312 back together & EZ steering!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  20:00:23  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a little skeptical about this somewhat strange machine at first, but it won me over, They look little but they're not, and the 312 accomodates my 6'6" quite comfortably. The large wheel and real steering box with a lower ratio makes for easy steering. And I love the tool tray - hope it doesn't need it! Getting to like variables too this is #3. I had to completely rebuild fuel and ignition, and a new seat, but the tractor seams just fine. Going to have to fine tune the variable, I think. The seller misled me on 2 counts: He said the battery was junk, but it turned it over without charging, and he said it smoked, it does, just a puff of black when you load it. I also emailed him, and he is sending me the missing side cover and catch for under the gas tank. I went a long ways for it, but I got my moneys worth. Hope to find some attachments but... not real likely. I have a serviceble 48" deck from a 6200 serie Simplicity. I've heard they can be easily adapted to the 300/400 series.

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  21:06:12  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely a great addition to your parade!

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  21:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm..we may have to have someone do an educational piece on that series...they have yet to win my over. I have two for sale locally, both hydros, but both look like they need work. I think the biggest drawback, or misconception on my part is attachment compatibilty/availability. I love my attachments, and will grow that collection more than my tractor collection, and the differences in the series concerns me enough to pass on those tractors.

I guess I just need to know more...nice rig you go there though! (Like your dads as well...bet that steers nice too)

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  21:29:43  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice Allis! So the 6200 Simplicity deck is right side discharge?

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  22:00:07  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Hmmm..we may have to have someone do an educational piece on that series...they have yet to win my over. I have two for sale locally, both hydros, but both look like they need work. I think the biggest drawback, or misconception on my part is attachment compatibilty/availability. I love my attachments, and will grow that collection more than my tractor collection, and the differences in the series concerns me enough to pass on those tractors.

I guess I just need to know more...nice rig you go there though! (Like your dads as well...bet that steers nice too)

I like the space, and it has easy accessibility. The attachments are a huge issue, so is the non Briggs/Delco engine which I've pretty much standardized. It has a rear lift and PTO like a foot dragger, but front and mid attachments run off a setup like early Broadmoors, which I'm not real enthusiastic about. The K301 is a twin to the one my 7112H so thats not a terminal maintenance flaw, But I have been working on the Briigs/Delco setup for 36 years and kind of set in my ways. Still, I think an old dog with no interest in new tricks has seen it's day. There more other issues with this 312. We'll see. No matter what, it's a neat tractor and has been fun putting it back together, and it under $400 invested including retrieval, it's one of the few I can probably get my money back out of

By the way, Josh: I'm going to be mounting your sickle bar on your cherry BIG TEN in the next few days and I need pictures and size of the wood swale or whatever you call that piece, also the chain, I am missing both

Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  22:01:52  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

I will have to look, I would have said left....

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  01:38:57  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, Larry, that plastic tray under the seati is AWOL on just about every 300 series I have seen. Sure brings back memories seeing all those 300 series tractors. BTW: I do think the 6200 is RH discharge though I don't know how they will batch up.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 05/12/2011 01:46:41
Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  06:12:46  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, the 4000,5000 and 6000 series tractors had right side discharge decks.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

sammiefish

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  08:42:14  Show Profile  Visit sammiefish's Homepage Send sammiefish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
she's shaped up really nice!!
sheet metal is all straight too!!
I like it!!

as for attachments... now that your eye is
sensitized to what you need you will spot
them... I believe they are more common than
people think... also... for rear attachments
you can replace the drawbar and top lift (direct bolt in)
with a simplicity version and use simplicity
implements (if thats what you wanted to do)
late 400 series did this to accommodate simplicity
implements (or the AC simplicity equivalent)

Chris 3/4's : )

Edited by - sammiefish on 05/12/2011 08:45:58
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  08:56:14  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, the 6200 decks are right discharge, but the 312's mount is 10.5" like a large frame, 6200's mount is 7.25". It looks to me like the right belt and a large frame deck would go right on... and turn backwards???

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  09:41:02  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish

she's shaped up really nice!!
sheet metal is all straight too!!
I like it!!

as for attachments... now that your eye is
sensitized to what you need you will spot
them... I believe they are more common than
people think... also... for rear attachments
you can replace the drawbar and top lift (direct bolt in)
with a simplicity version and use simplicity
implements (if thats what you wanted to do)
late 400 series did this to accommodate simplicity
implements (or the AC simplicity equivalent)

Those differences from what I understand were federally mandated to reduce AC's effectiveness in the market at a time when AC was struggling to fend off repeated hostile take over attempts. That is one of the things that makes the tractor so desirable in my opinion. It is a great example of federal government intrusion into private enterprise and AC's ability to build a different tractor in the face of these mandated that was truly robust and their determination to hang on to Simplicity.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  09:52:44  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200

quote:

Yes, the 6200 decks are right discharge, but the 312's mount is 10.5" like a large frame, 6200's mount is 7.25". It looks to me like the right belt and a large frame deck would go right on... and turn backwards???

I have seen such where they cut the end out of the right side of the deck and reversed the location of the deck idler pulley. I would favor making an adjustment to the mule drive with different sized idler pulleys at different angles so that the belt could be twisted to reverse the direction.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  10:48:13  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont think I'd cut up a deck worth putting on, and the front pulley's would need to be staggered to keep them from rubbing where the twist crosses? It was suggested on ST's to put a FDT PTO on it, then can run any large frame deck, I have to look at that more, my 3310V could be the donor, unless it has the "W" pulley, has a 32 CID in it too. I've wanted to parts it but, it's a decent tractor, and it's the first RBT, and fills a spot in my collection. Have to think about that. The 3300 series aren'y really rare... Believe it or not, I have passed on 2 3300 deals in the last year. Yup, you heard right.

Go to Top of Page

oldsarge

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  11:48:41  Show Profile  Visit oldsarge's Homepage Send oldsarge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ALERT THE MEDIA!!! Larry passed on two tractors???????
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  21:10:38  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldsarge

ALERT THE MEDIA!!! Larry passed on two tractors???????

LOL!!! That's what I was thinking!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

sammiefish

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  22:22:13  Show Profile  Visit sammiefish's Homepage Send sammiefish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
larry,

i saw your pic with new bolts in the front bottom corner (grill frame)_... orig. had thick washer spacers for the 2 upper bots...do you
have those... they go between the sheet metal... 2 washers would work perfect...
youre sheet metal is nice and straight and that would help keep it orig and nice...

sorry if the comment is unwelcome... just wondering as I saw new bolts.
some of my machines came with the thick washers all over the place!!

Chris 3/4's : )

Edited by - sammiefish on 05/13/2011 22:24:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic