Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 726 / Visits Today: 726
Highest Active Users: 726
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Bush Hog Restoration
 JBI Diesel Repower Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  09:15:04  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, you could always add on an external (Plymouth Horizon?) water pump. They are external of the engine & you could simply fashion brackets to add it on. A pulley simply bolts to it, so not a problem for you to do at all. Might eliminate the need for a different radiator.
My memory is failing me, but I think it was a Horizon that has this style pump?????????

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  09:53:27  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Daniel! I'll have to look into that. You'd think I would know that as we had many Horizon and Omni autos as the kids were growing up. Bad part about growing old I guess. My Omni had the 1.8 Volkswagen engine and the kids had the 2.2 Chrysler engines. One thing I don't ever remember having to change was a water pump. I'll let you know what I come up with.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 01/14/2011 09:54:58
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  11:03:10  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel I checked all of the engine options for the Omni, Horizon, and VW Rabbits and they all use an integral type water pump. If you happen to think of a different option please let me know. Thanks.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Richard L.

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  13:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard L.'s Homepage Send Richard L. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting project for me as I've always wanted to build up a tractor to look like a Model A pickup. I've got the hood, radiator and the radiator cover/chrome part from an old street road project that's waiting to do something. I've always thought that 4041 needed some custom treatment. I think the radiator is just a little too big though but maybe. Hmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  14:01:57  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a neat project. Better get to it as we aren't getting any younger. If you have any metal working skills the radiator shell shouldn't be a big issue.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  16:08:38  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to work most the day working with calves, but ended up with time to get the motor mount plates welded on, and the engine is sitting in there right & 2 bolt holes drilled through the firewall & tightened up. I could fire her up as she sits, but I will pull the engine tomorrow to get accurate measurements so as to machine the crankshaft to driveshaft adapter. Looks like there will be room under the hood for the air cleaner after all, just behind the engine. I figure within a couple weeks I might get the adapter built, so I might be able to drive it in February....maybe.
Once I finish roughing stuff in, it ALL has to come apart again for finishing work.
My first test driving will be done with manual steering, but when finished, this one will have power steering. I already have an orbital & cylinder waiting. Theis manual steering will have to be modified with a long arm coming off the steering box in order for control arm to clear the oil pan.
Chris, for the life of me I can't recall the vehicle I owned with that water pump. Was long ago. I even called my local auto parts store guru, and he had no idea.

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/14/2011 16:09:06
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  16:44:23  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for trying. I will check at the parts stores and maybe some mechanics to see if anyone can recall that pump. It's all part of the fun.
At the rate your going that tractor will be parade ready in 2 weeks. I couldn't stay away from mine either. My wife almost never inquires as to what I'm up to. On the Bolens she finally had to ask because I just about lived in the shop for awhile. When the resolution to a problem would finally come to me I had to write it down or head out to the shop before I forgot what it was.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  19:05:16  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, I take it you have trouble getting to sleep some nights too! Hard to sleep when something isn't figured out yet on a project.
And yes, if not doing farm chores, my wife knows exactly where to find me! LOL I've done a lot of engineering just before nodding off.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  21:17:01  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While day dreaming in the shower is when my best engineering takes place. I don't know how many times that happened with problems in the plant. The guys finally quit asking where I came up with that idea.

It's been many years since I worked around a farm. I know yours is a dairy farm but it seems just a little early for calves. I think March is when that hits around here. Your climate is different than ours though.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  21:47:58  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta get the cows bred regardless of when they'll calve. But what I've been doing today is working the older calves, shots & such & moving to different fields.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  23:03:29  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really loved doing the field work but livestock just wasn't my cup of tea. I could set on a tractor all day and enjoy every moment but cows and pigs I had no patience for. Good thing I decided not to start farming. I'm glad guys like you are out there doing it tho.
Thank you!

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  23:28:29  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel. Sold the cows(Maine Anjou beef cow/calf herd) and the farm in 2001. Don't miss the animals but do miss the farm. Only have 1 1/3 acres now. The Wheel Horse project seems to be taking shape nicely for you. Hope you don't encounter any problems you can't figure out. Keep posting on your progress. There are lots of us out here following your project with great interest. Dave.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  15:04:45  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pulled the engine out today, removed the flywheel, then cut a template for the flywheel bolt pattern. Machined a high grade 1" shaft on it's end down to .780" to fit the center hole of the flywheel. I still have to machine the mount ring, drill the bolt holes, then machine out a center hole in it for a tight press fit of the 1" shaft, then weld it in place. After, I put the flywheel back on & dropped the engine into place & bolted it down. I also got the air filter assembly mounted. I have a special plan for the air filter cap to stay with the hood, but seal to the air filter housing inlet when the hood is latched down. I drilled & tapped the side of the bell housing to mount the fuel filter. The original mount holes are too low to the frame to use. Here's a short video clip of it running "in frame". Got my son to do the throttle.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/JBI%20Diesel%20Repower/?action=view¤t=MOV00242.mp4

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/15/2011 15:05:45
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  15:41:40  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a keeper!.
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  19:47:06  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds Great! Think you could pick up the pace a little bit?

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic