Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2475 / Visits Today: 85
Highest Active Users: 2475
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Bush Hog Restoration
 JBI Diesel Repower Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  17:47:17  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When time allows, I will be taking my "parts" JBI Bush Hog tractor & planting a Kubota D1005 3 cylinder diesel into it. This will be a long drawn out project, but hoping to get it driveable during summertime. I just bought a 2 ton asphalt crack sealing machine & drove 250 miles to bring it home. Was a bit of a gamble, but at $336 purchase price and another $150 for the trip, it's not a real financial gamble as the steel alone will bring nearly $400 in scrap price. The gamble was driving so far for the engine, not knowing if it was repairable. Seller claimed he put a battery in & turned it over & sounded fine, but it would only turn 3/4 round & hit solid. Not a metal to metal sound...more like ice in a cylinder. He also claimed exhaust was covered all the time. Over an hour of heat gun running on the block & she finally melted out. After just 1/2 a days work, the engine runs like a dream! Only 1299hrs on the Hobbs meter, so nothing for a diesel. Idles at 45psi hot. Not sure why, but the water pump was off, so cut a new gasket, installed, & put the radiator back on, & she's ready to go.

Here's a short video clip of the Kubota engine running.
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Kubota%20Diesel/?action=view¤t=MOV00227.mp4

Here's the rough JBI it will go into. I plan to put in a Massey rear end & hydro so I will have a 2 speed rear end. LOTS of mods coming to this tractor. The parts are just stacked on, not in proper positions.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/11/2011 17:50:28

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  18:58:05  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess you know that your scratching my itch. I'll be watching as you progress. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of doing yours as I have. Two things I have found to be very helpful. A chain hoist and a lathe.
You'll get a kick out of this, I'm thinking about putting the diesel out of the Kubota G3200 into a Golf cart.
Anyway have fun and keep us updated.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  19:13:42  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a 10x42" South Bend. Invaluable with projects such as this. I also have an old Cincy end mill machine. Don't hold your breath though Chris, this will take a long time as time is short these days. It's good therapy though doing these kind of projects.
Forgot to add....I have my little FEL plus a rolling floor engine hoist. Makes for good use of that old saying..."work smarter, not harder"!

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/11/2011 19:35:24
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  22:35:04  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a fun project!I wish you well Daniel.
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  00:43:17  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm patient. Been waiting for almost a year for the correct radiator for the Bolens conversion. Anticipation is almost as much fun as the project for me. I don't want to push you but is it done yet?

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 01/12/2011 00:43:44
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  09:13:14  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not quite finished Chris, but I did remove the power unit from the asphalt sealer yesterday, so that's a start at least.
I may put the JB in my shop soon. I wanted to finish my D4-10 first, but a bit cold for painting those last parts (takes too much propane to cure out), so I figure to get a start on the JB frame mods.

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/12/2011 09:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  10:22:22  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know your going to enjoy this project!

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  11:03:03  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

I know your going to enjoy this project!

NO doubt about that! One thing I have to do is to remove the large bell housing & build a housing that just clears the flywheel teeth. The OE bell housing is way too wide, but I can make one to where things fit nicely. I will add a band to cover the flywheel sides too. Having a plasma cutter is another invaluable tool for projects such as this.

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/12/2011 11:06:13
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  18:03:22  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, I got started today! Decided to go with the cast bell housing, but had to use my plasma cutter to remove the lower half, except for the engine mount side.

The cutout in the frame rail is from the previous owner. It will get replaced. The bell housing will be bolted to the firewall, nd the engine cradle will be modified to rest on the frame rail's bottom. I will also be adding metal plate the entire length of the frame to strengthen, which it will need with the higher torque of this engine.

I had to notch the front of the rails to allow for the radiator support.

This is the full view of the tractor, minus lots of bodywork.

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/12/2011 18:05:11
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  23:27:59  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang you are fast!If you ever need a vacation I have a lot of projects out here in the west.
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  23:29:27  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yours will be the first diesel in a garden tractor that I've seen with the radiator in the front. I wish I could have gotten away with that but the engine rotation was wrong. I'm going to have to look at the pictures of mine as your flywheel looks massive. That should really make for a nice smooth idle. I can't wait to see it hanging over the frame. Great post!

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  09:19:24  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, the rotation of the Hydrogear hydro unit is right for me. I would like to later switch to a Massey 16/1855 rear end to get the 2 speed diff, but the rotation would have to be changed, which CAN be done with the Sundstrand unit the Massey uses. May not get much if anything done with it today. Lots of farm chores need tending.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  18:10:06  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got just a little time today for fun shop time. Got the engine sitting in the frame to see what other mods are needed. This engine will be pulled in & out quite a few times before I get all things figured out. I have to make a cutout for the oil filter in the top of the one frame rail & a slight notch for more clearance on the lower radiator outlet. I'm not going to worry about the bodywork at all for now. I will get the engine all tucked in right, then the sheet metal will have to be modified to work with the engine. The air filter assembly will likely reside on the side of the dash tower.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  20:10:21  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a guy who was in no hurry to get this done, you have made a lot of head way already. I would guess if that container from Japan doesn't get here with a radiator for mine your going to be done before me.
I think my engine stayed hooked to the hoist until I had it running. Mine is mounted on rubber and may have to come out again to raise the front mounts about 3/8ths of an inches as the pto belts compress the mount. You won't have that to contend with as yours is mounted solid.
My hood is fiber glass and I still haven't done anything with it. I think your sheet metal would be easier to deal with.
How many horse power do you think this engine is? So far it looks like a good fit length wise.
I think mine is right at 16hp if I remember correctly.

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 01/13/2011 20:21:28
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  20:42:06  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have missed all about this project of yours Chris. 2 or 3 cylinder, and what make/model engine....Kubota?
My engine is rated 22.5hp continuous, 27hp intermittent.
I'm always in a hurry, but don't like making deadlines that I may not be able to keep.
Would love to see more pics of your project...link to it?

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  21:48:59  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Daniel it is a Kubota Z620 2 cyl. that I installed into a Bolens GT2000. I started the project last spring and was mowing with it in July. I couldn't find a thick enough radiator (3") so I had a hard time keeping the temps down. This engine uses thermal siphon to circulate the coolant so I need the right radiator.
I only have a 7 x 12 lathe so I had to get pretty creative with some of the machining. I'll try and put a couple more pictures of the project on here.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic