Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2779 / Visits Today: 389
Highest Active Users: 2779
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Present for my Dad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  21:38:40  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a very attractive piece of cutlery! I like the pattern of the file teeth in it, makes it look like Damascus. You say you used a saw blade for the first one, what kind of saw?

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

ac720nut

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  06:31:09  Show Profile Send ac720nut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice job, goes to show how talented some are

Lloyd
Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  08:12:52  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B-16_IC

That is a very attractive piece of cutlery! I like the pattern of the file teeth in it, makes it look like Damascus. You say you used a saw blade for the first one, what kind of saw?

I used a 10-14TPI Power Hacksaw blade that was broken. I just needed to a anneal the saw blade to be able to cut, grind and drill it. And for brass rod for the pins... use a toilet bowl float rod.

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I am super proud of it!
Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  21:56:57  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Dad loved it told me he cant wait to use it to skin deer.

So my best friend asked if I could make him a smaller version of this knife so he can use it as an EDC knife, here it is:

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  16:15:58  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, you really have a knack for building those knives. I like the size of this one.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Paulcurtis3

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  20:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Paulcurtis3's Homepage Send Paulcurtis3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want one too! Beautiful work

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  21:00:32  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fine polish job! Really nice looking craftsmanship, keep up the good work. I bet your friend cherishes it.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  21:42:00  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice job!

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  00:59:53  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is beautiful.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  12:13:25  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... last one, I promise!

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  18:13:13  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works of art!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  18:54:55  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too pretty to use.
You should pick up a copy of Popular Mechanics October issue. Page 70 has information about a young lady that makes knives like yours. Her work is better than anything I could do but certainly not up to your standards. I thought of you while I was looking at it.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  11:55:52  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its been a while, I havent been doing much tractor tinkering, I've been so busy at work. I haven't made many blades either...

I made this for my wife's aunt (I suppose she is my Aunt too), from some old lawnmower blades she gave me last year, I put a mustard patina on the steel and used beech for the handle scales. Not my best but it came out pretty good.

My wife has been asking for another knife for the kitchen. I have a friend that had some doors made from Purple Heart, he had to have them trimmed down to fit his door frames and he gave me the cut offs. I think I will make the handle scales from that.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  21:27:23  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep them coming. Great eye candy.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  07:00:56  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

Keep them coming. Great eye candy.

Thanks Phil.

Ive been really stressed lately, Im leaving the school district that I have been the senior system administrator for 10 years, to be the Director of Technology for another local district.

The decision to leave, documentation, tying up loose ends, paper work.... Its all been really tough on me emotionally, Im heartbroken, excited, petrified, confident... Im a whole gambit of emotions and the closer I get to the day the more anxious I feel.

I needed to clear my mind so I finished the knife for my wife last night. I ended up removing a lot of the belly in the blade, not as much as I wanted but I let the boss tell me what she wanted. Just need to put the leather belt on my grinder and polish and strop the bevel and edge.

This purple heart has to be some of the toughest wood I have ever worked with. It is tough to cut, to drill, I tired running it through the planner and it would rip and chunk out the grain.

Sanding is interesting, looks like any other sawdust but come back the next day, after the dust has had some light exposure and it turns purple. If you overheat the wood sanding (which is really easy to do because it is so hard) it turns a deep purple. It looks pretty cool though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic