Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 522 / Visits Today: 522
Highest Active Users: 522
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Scrap yard save!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  22:43:16  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen many threads on the forums about fellas picking up machines at scrap yards and saving them from the shredder but have not done it before myself. But today I took in a load of various junk from around the farm for spring cleaning and showed up just in time! I think this was unloaded just before I backed up to unload.

Still has dirt on the tines and tires from the last time it tilled, obviously was stored inside. Inside of the gas tank is nasty so it hasn't run real recently. Only scar from the yard is a dent in the fuel tank. Only pieces missing are the drag bar,(I have a few in the spare parts so no biggie) and one knob. The knob is for an option I've never seen on a front tine before, the handles swing to either side to avoid walking in the tilled path. It's a real testament to the quality equipment that made Simplicity the household name that it is. I hope to have time soon to give it a going over and till some earth!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich

lilypad

USA
638 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  23:54:49  Show Profile  Visit lilypad's Homepage Send lilypad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I owned a front end tiller many years ago. Happiest day of my life was when I sold it. It did a great job but I think it might have been less work to use a shovel. You had to wrestle with it every step of the way. Luckily I was much younger and had a small garden back then.

RLM
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  09:58:17  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a nice find Rich, but it looks like too much work to me. I have a rear tine tiller now because I understood it was Less work.......I'm looking for some sucker who will pay me for the honor to be tortured by it.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 04/11/2014 10:01:08
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  21:13:51  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I guess I'm weird. I used a rear tine Troy-Bilt once and thought it the second most worthless tiller I'd ever run second only to an Ariens Yardster. To get the silly thing to dig deeper took weight off the tires and then it was time to hold on! The Allis front tine I've used the last few years I usually guide with one hand as to not walk in the tilled path. What front tines have you guys used? There are some truly horrendous designs out there that don't balance well. Also having widely spaced tines make some into real arm jerkers. Not all tillers are created equal.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

7010b1

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  08:37:51  Show Profile Send 7010b1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
never had anytime to mess with a front tine tiller only tiller i have used is a rear time tiller on the back of a b 10e or my 7010. great save btw. you going to have to pack that up and a few other toys and head this way for the allis show in amana fathers day weekend

spark up your life with a E3 plug..

,, , ,,,

b1, earlys, big, b12, b110's, 712, 7010, 1316h, homelite T15 and T16, two 410's, over all 20+ of them
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  21:53:11  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I had occasion to pull the stinky tank and carb off some time back and discovered the carb was nasty and the tank bracket which is spot welded to the tank was badly sprung. So that put me on the lookout for parts as I couldn't recall one being in my inventory. Went to a spring type consignment auction and lo and behold there sat a sad looking Coast to Coast tiller with the flywheel pulled but a clean looking tank! Five bucks plus tax and it went home with me. Swapped it over tonight and after getting the carb primed it runs excellent! It's a definite keeper, the swinging handles are convenient and it spins fast! What a fine machine to use.

Does anyone have expierience doing video on Photobucket? That's the only way I know I could show it off here.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  07:45:30  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good things come to those who seek!

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic