Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3238 / Visits Today: 3075
Highest Active Users: 3238
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Doing a little stock work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2013 :  21:52:45  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew from the pictures that the Marauder was no beauty queen before I purchased it but I don't think I was prepared for what I saw when I opened the carton. The envelopes I use for my tax returns have more figure than does the original stock. On top of that The ambidextrous "Monte Carlo" stock is so meaty it looks more like a leg of lamb than a stock. The checkering is simply awful and is only surpassed by the horrendous "Benjamin" etched in the bottom of the Forearm. I realize that as far as PCP 's go the Marauder is an entry level repeater but IMO the cheese checkering , Benjamin etching and the one step finish on the stock just makes it look cheap to the point that I found my self embarrassed to pull it out of my case. At lease it shoots well.

I knew that the nondescript hardwood stock was not going to be a pretty piece of wood but I had to do something about the checkering and the bulbous club of a stock. I also hollowed out the stock under the butt plate/pad.
I removed the left hand cheek piece.

I whittled out a slight hollow in the right hand cheek piece and sharpened it's border to give it a more classic look.

I also rounded out many of the contours on the forearm.

I tried a little stain even though I am far from finished with prepping the wood. It is going to take a lot of work to get the wood to look like much more than a stained apple crate but I'm determined.

Before:

After:

When I finish I will put on a hand rubbed oil finish.

The stock started out topping the scales at 55.3 ounces and after the alterations was 50.1 ounces.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 11/30/2013 21:57:01
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic