Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1566 / Visits Today: 1566
Highest Active Users: 1566
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 High speed miss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  22:57:20  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I cranked up my storm generator this evening I discovered that it had a high speed miss every 1/2 second or so. The Briggs engine seemed to respond perfectly to load demand but has that miss. If I close the choke a couple go clicks it smooths right out but I am afraid to run the engine that way. I got to thinking about it and was wondering if restricting the air would be better than running it lean with the choke open. I suppose I need to have the carb cleaned as I ran it for 4+ hours with sea foam in it and could notice little or no improvement.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 08/29/2012 22:57:50

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  23:12:10  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on how old it is I suspect that it has a Caliphony EPA carb on it. Blasted things are designed to run right on the edge of starving for gas and there is usually no adjusting them. If it were mine I would take the high speed jet out and drill it .001 to .002 larger. The jets are so small that even a small amount of scale in the jet starves the engine which in turn runs the exhaust temps almost to the point of burning the valves. Hope you get a handle on it.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  13:47:08  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes this engine was produced no more than 4 years ago. By shutting down the air a tad with the adjustable choke am I in effect richening up the fuel mixture and reducing the valve and piston temps? Doing so does not appear to reduce its power output but i was afraid to run it that way. I remember when I was a kid we had an Elgin outboard that you could adjust the fuel mixture with a calibrated dial while on the move.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  14:16:35  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that you mention it our old Sea King 5hp was like that too. The knob stuck right out the front of the engine. The gas we have today is crud and these small engines run too lean. It's amazing they last half as long as they do.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  16:34:22  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Temporarily running with partial choke will be fine. Been doing that with my Troybilt tiller 2 seasons now! lol Need to stop being lazy & just clean the carb. As Chris said, enlarging the jet is a good thing. I use torch tip cleaners to open mine up. I start with a tip cleaner that is small enough to slip right through, then go up a size until I get to one that goes in with resistance. Then I give it 2 or 3 strokes full through. Never had an issue this way & they always run better.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  16:39:58  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a set of torch picks around here somewhere. I come across them only when I have no need for them.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  17:58:03  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

I have a set of torch picks around here somewhere. I come across them only when I have no need for them.

I have a lot of tools just like that Phil!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  20:02:35  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you guys are talking about. The idiot that owns this place never puts things where they belong or thinks he's found a better place for things. I really need to talk to him.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  20:35:37  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some tools I can always lay my hands on because I use them often. The torch picks I have used almost twice since I found them 25 or so years ago.
However my shed has been a mess ever since I cleaned out my truck to have it repaired after the guy rear ended me two years ago. Every time I go in there and look for something I say, oh heck! , and go buy what ever I need.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 08/30/2012 20:37:39
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  10:58:17  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
look for something I say, oh heck! , and go buy what ever I need

Keep that up and your either going to need a bigger truck or shed.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic