Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2129 / Visits Today: 817
Highest Active Users: 2129
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 My Gibson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  10:16:58  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my 1948 Gibson model D.Not a full restoration ,I still use it but mainly for parades.

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'

Simple700

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  15:59:44  Show Profile Send Simple700 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a nice looking tractor Oldron, something to be proud of. I have always liked the Gibsons and other unstyled tractor about that size.

- Jeff

"There is no hope, but I might be wrong!"
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  19:48:05  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks like it is all business. Lever steering I assume?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 01/19/2008 19:49:12
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  20:05:49  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely an interesting looking tractor. Sorta why I like the bushhog or panzers. Just a bit different and really old looking! Thanks for sharing.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  20:59:03  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Super D" must be a later model? My friend has one of those...it has a hood and steering wheel rather than tiller..

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/19/2008 20:59:44
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  21:00:23  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oldron, What horsepower is that motor? IT looks huge.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  22:51:34  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a Wisconson 9.2 hp.Most of the early D's had a 6 hp.The super D was the next model .

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  23:37:36  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldron

That is a Wisconson 9.2 hp.Most of the early D's had a 6 hp.The super D was the next model .

Maybe 9.2hp, but comparing to today's engines.....waaaaaay more torque!

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  23:41:15  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that the same as on Briggs engines? i.e. is the torque of an old 9-12 hp engine much better than a 23hp engine on a new box store tractor? I had a dealer tell me that all the tractor manufactures went crazy with HP Ratings.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  08:24:42  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HP means almost nothing these days. I am told they are going away from rating them by HP & rating them by torque figures. That will be a much truer way of rating them, but will just confuse most people. Will take a while for everyone to adjust. By the way, I'd say that Ron's engine will have torque numbers to get close to that 23hp, maybe not as much, but near.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  08:28:00  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes on the older Briggs. ALL the older engines rival modern engines of much higher claimed HP. Just take a look at the older Briggs 10hp to a modern version of same size. NO comparison in size. The larger size brings with it higher torque curves mainly due to the heavier rotating mass and longer stroke. Higher hp..no, more torque...definitely!
You can pull the old long stroke engines down till you can count the strokes & they will just keep on pulling...especially the old Wisconsins. I love how they pull!

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/20/2008 08:34:26
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  16:54:08  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldron

It must have one heck of a stroke judging from the distance from the flywheel to the top of the head.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Simple700

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  16:57:23  Show Profile Send Simple700 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that a crank start?

- Jeff

Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  23:17:54  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it is a crank start,I did not like the rope pull it had .Tractors start with a crank so I had a nut made with a One inch stub and fit a crank to it.It also had a flywheel from a 6hp all the years I owned it then last year I found a 9.2 pump motor with with a big flywheel feels like twice the hp now.
Ron

Go to Top of Page

Simple700

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  09:45:41  Show Profile Send Simple700 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen a few older Gibsons at tractor shows, but that it one of the nicer ones...if you don't bring it to tractor shows, you should.

- Jeff

Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  11:53:20  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't have tractor shows in western MT .Our pop is so small it is even hard to find a old garden tractor.We have a pop of less than 1 mil for the 4th largest state.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic