Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1542 / Visits Today: 428
Highest Active Users: 1542
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Panzer project started
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simple700

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  13:51:05  Show Profile Send Simple700 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to decide, arguing with myself if you will, whether to restor my Siplicity 700 that is all original or not. So I decided to hold off and started to restore my Panzer T-70B. The tractor looks decent from a distance, however it does not have the original engine and the metal has a lot of pitting that had been just painted over. In other words, it has been restored once but not done well.

I had to get the Panzer from the shed and bring it to the garage. It would not start because last time I tried to start it, I broke the recoil rope. I had to move the simplicity, which started right up, as usual. Then I towed the Panzer to the garage, removed the hood and engine. The engine was not original, but I do have two orignial tyoe engins for it, one is missing an air cleaner and the other is missing the airvane govenor.

I am planning on totally redoing the tractor, including replacing all the hardware with stainless Steel. I am trying to locate an attachment for it, I think restorations look a lot better with an attachement.

Also still looking for a B series tractor to restore...then I will feel better about leaving my 700 original.

- Jeff

"There is no hope, but I might be wrong!"

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  15:01:14  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you post some links about the Panzer? I'd want to see some sketches on how the drive train works and pictures. I let a Panzer go a while back which I should have bought... had one too many tractors back then.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Simple700

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  19:05:58  Show Profile Send Simple700 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.panzertractors.com/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/panzerclub/

I have the owner's manual in .PDF format, I tried to attach that, it shows the drivetrain well. If you have ever used an old Toro walk behind Rototiller, with the lever that raises the engine to go forward then lowers it to reverse the pulley, it is the same concept.

- Jeff

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  22:11:02  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Panzer has movable propeller shaft which is pivoted in or out using a right hand lever which, at first glance, looks like an implement lift lever. In operation the tractor has one speed forward and one in reverse. When the shaft with pulley and friction wheel is pivoted toward the motor the metal friction wheel contacts a rubber drive wheel on the engine crank shaft and runs in reverse. When the shaft is pivoted out it goes to neutral and then to forward by tightening the belt attached to the engine crank shaft. The forward speed can be varied only by stopping the motor and moving the belt to a different sized pulley. The power is delivered though the propeller shaft directly to an automotive type rear end and differential.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 12/27/2007 22:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Simple700

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  18:09:12  Show Profile Send Simple700 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good description Skunkhome. The Plymouth rear end and brakes are what I find intriguing about the tractor. It has independent rear brakes, like a farm tractor, making it able to turn on a dime. I have the engine apart and have most of the paint removed and primered.

- Jeff

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  00:19:21  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to get my hands on one as a friend of mine had one when I was a kid. You couldn't get much simpler.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 12/29/2007 00:20:18
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  22:42:57  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the manual for this tractor from Jeff and I'll post it if anyone's interested.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  11:23:27  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks like an old Panzer. I remember My friends tractor being fast but not like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPeXW41dj44

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  12:24:17  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I saw some headers in the video. They are recording the video off a TV so the interlacing of the 60 HZ signal is making the black lines...

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Simple700

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  16:44:15  Show Profile Send Simple700 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been painstakingly removing the several layers of paint on the old Panzer. It won't be long before I am ready to paint. Anyone have any ideas for filling in pitting on the sheet metal to make it smooth?

- Jeff

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  22:15:18  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I would use standard auto body bondo.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  08:21:14  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note, there is another topic on Painting started over here:

http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=742

Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic