Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 673 / Visits Today: 673
Highest Active Users: 673
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 step by step
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  01:23:42  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, i'am going to a garden tractor pull in july. so i need to make my rims wider for some sears tires. this is a cutting and welding job. or for rob its called fab what you need. so here are two sets of rims that will become one with a more mod to it, off set as we say.
step one. get tires off the rims
step two cut the rims.
step three weld.
step four grind
step five paint
step six mount tires

this will be a two day project, as i will be doing this after 9 at nite with lots of beer.
pics will fallow with each step.
so here is step one. these are sears 23" 9.5" 12" tires hard to find, if you ever want to get traction, get these they will pull like a bull.

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  18:59:28  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freddie

... these are sears 23" 9.5" 12" tires hard to find, if you ever want to get traction, get these they will pull like a bull.

Aren't those rims made for up to 10.5" wide tires?

Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  22:54:11  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes they are, but the rim is 8" i need them at 10" wide so that the tire will squat down low i do this to all my pulling tractors. i only run 3.5 psi in them with tubes.
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  23:39:44  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I see, I only run 4-5 psi in rears.

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  07:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm liking this project! We need some action shots of the steps for sure. I've never seen GT pulling...I guess i always assumed they ran AG's. The wide turfs really hookup, huh? What kind of ground do you typically run on?

Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  10:54:25  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we stay with the dirt & clay tracks.
this is a pic of my practice track, my driveway and my pulling sled.
Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  10:59:16  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool stuff. Do you keep the motors stock or do you have pumped up mills in there? Not sure I could pull a wheelie like that!!

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  11:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wondered how the tranny's and axle tubes held up. Must be OK, because it seems popular. I googled my area and garden tractor pulling and came up with several clubs, associations and schedules of event (20+). Wow!

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  12:03:46  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jack up a tractor & bolt the rim to the hub. Start the tractor & let it turn the wheel while you hold a thin disc grinder wheel to it. Makes for a good straight cut. I forget though if you have access to a large lathe?? I just thought...I could do this even easier myself now, using my plasma cutter! Rig a jig to hold my cutter torch & spin rim...slice it accurately!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  16:09:38  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have a better idea i use my bandsaw very true cut
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  19:25:30  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MUCH easier! My bandsaw is way too small for that large rim!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  10:46:13  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a pair of rims here that I made up from two sets. They turned out a little over 9" wide, cut just the bead off one, cut at the wheel center on the other, weld together. Mine I did at work with a recipricating saw and a rim clamp tire machine. I like your method better, set it up, turn it on, drink a beer. The gear box blew on my band saw, sure do miss it!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

1911fan

37 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  18:00:42  Show Profile  Visit 1911fan's Homepage Send 1911fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Freddie: How much can the engine/carbs be modded, and are there classes based on mods? I suppose you lock the rear ends and do you mod the "posi" adjustment screws or weld. looks like a very cool sport, I'll have to check my area for events.
Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  21:16:55  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we run all stock tractors, its called off the lawn. no we do not lock the rearends.
i'am geting all the pics together to finish this post at this time.
Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  19:55:05  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TWO RIMS ready to be sand blasted and welded. here one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic