Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 5379 / Visits Today: 3062
Highest Active Users: 5379
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Hydrostatic transaxle problem? Is it toast?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PAUL T

3 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Visit PAUL T's Homepage Send PAUL T a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am new to this forum so I am sorry if I have this question in the wrong forum. I was working on a friends Simplicity model 1693080 Regent 14hp Hydro with a tuff torq K-56 transaxle, she complained that it was just getting slower and would not pull even slight grades in her yard very well. I checked it out and decided to put a new drive belt in. I did and it worked fine for a little while until I started mowing on a slight grade again. I adjusted the drive pedals but it did not improve. I decided to check the transaxle fluid(10w-30)next and it was awful. In its 7 years of life it had never been changed. It looked like peanut sauce due to water getting into it somehow. So I drained it and changed it but I could not get it to engage anymore. I did some studying of the manuals and found the air purge procedure but it would only work on level ground and stop on the very slightest grade. Then someone else looked at it with me and they ask about the missing vent valve cover and sure enough it was gone, which explains where the water came from. I have not been wanting to come to the conclusion that the transaxle is toast, but I am coming to the end of my possibilities. If I replace the vent valve will it make a difference or should we look for a new mower? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Leroy

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  15:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Leroy's Homepage Send Leroy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Water can get into places because of vast temperature changes that produces sweat on metal this sweat can displace oil.
It is hydraulic fluid but the viscosity is not right for transmission products. With water and oil foaming there should have been plenty of signs of the tanish oily leakage after the unit sat for a while. Even if the unit is toast it would be a better value to replace the K56 than to scrap the unit for a poor part. But then that may be a used unit or shipped with out the vent plug properly installed?
It is worth fixing, If that is the only problem. You won't find a better mower than a Simplicity.
Go to Top of Page

PAUL T

3 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  13:56:48  Show Profile  Visit PAUL T's Homepage Send PAUL T a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend opted for a new mower. I got the old one and do plan on fixing it if I can find a new or used K56.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic