Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 377 / Visits Today: 168
Highest Active Users: 377
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Chain Hoist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  22:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to use a come-a-long to pick up my 16 hp Briggs which was a PITA as it goes up easily but only comes down a few notches at a time.

Solved the problem. Now it will be easy to raise/lower engines and tractors.

Harbor Freight sales are hard to resist.

Roy

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  00:00:50  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is mighty nice Roy. I have been looking at one at Harbor freight but just have not sprung for it yet. At some point I will need to do it. Like you I have been using a come-along and I always get an uneasy feeling when lowering a load.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  00:53:28  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's funny Roy. I just brought a 1 ton chain hoist home today. Spent the rest of the day making a place to hang it from in the shop. I have developed a real disliking for
come-alongs for lifting anything. I'm going to be doing another gas to diesel converion so I think the chain hoist will be a big plus.
Chris

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 01/19/2010 10:26:53
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  10:45:47  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree on the Harbor Freight sales being a tough thing to walk away on. I have an engine crane and that's what I'll be using the tractors for now, it will double for cars, but not a boat.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  12:05:18  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except for that Wisconsin twin I stuffed into the JBI, I still use the "break yer back" method on small engines, but fast coming to time I don't do that at all. Down in the farm shop, I bought a engine hoist that works off air or by hand. It's a trip to use....and yes, HF has them, but I bought mine at TSC....same thing though...foreign built.
We still have an old double pulley chain hoist that is no telling how old & use it a lot. Bet that one Roy has works smoother than our old one though!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  13:07:27  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roy, what are you using for a lift plate? Did you make something to screw into the head bolts?

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  19:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a 1.5 ton Harrington chainfall that I bought in the late 50's early 60's that I used for years. It worked great but was large and got too heavy for me to lift and hang so I gave it a friend a while back. The little 1 ton HF chain hoist is perfect for my needs.

The lift plate came on the engine. It is held on by two head bolts. Think it is an OEM B & S plate.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  19:52:25  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hummm... does that mean that's a brand new engine... if so WOW... nice find.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  22:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a new engine. Was made in 1974. I had to remove the mouse condo, then cleaned and painted the sheet metal and S/G.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  00:42:39  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use to change engines in toyota tercels without any lifting device...just heave the 1.5L 4cyl up onto the bumper then stand on the strut towers and heave it one more time ..slide it on the input shaft and drop the mounts in the holes ...

the things we do when we're young and stupid 8)

now I have all the chainfalls and cherry pickers I should have had back then....but dont even use them because my bad back prevents me from tackleing large jobs now
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  10:03:48  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean by young and stupid. I used to grab ahold of anything and move it. Now I have a 20lb. lift limit on my back and I live with constant pain, and pills close at hand. I used my Chain hoist to lift a 12hp. Kubota diesel yesterday and boy was that nice. I should have had this 30 years ago.
So late so smart.
Chris

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  12:36:36  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I screwed up my back years ago. I am not in constant pain but if I do something stupid like tying into something heavy or awkward to carry I will be in paint for 2-3 weeks.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 01/20/2010 12:37:11
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  13:47:20  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My problems are limited to joints & ligaments. Arthritis makes work stay with me. Like when working all afternoon on the new pole building swinging a hammer or whatever. Takes a couple or 3 days before the soreness in joints lets up. Doesn't stop me at all, but slows me down for sure. Went through back pain in my 20's and not many problems since with back pain....just plain lucky with things I lift though.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  19:27:21  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Young and stupid is equal to, 3 blown disc, 2 compressed vertebrae, and multiple bone spurs. All in a 4 inch area of the lower back. I'm not proud of this and the pain can be real nasty. I just hope that I can prevent someone else from making the same mistakes I did.
Think before you lift! Don't use your back to lift your ego!
Chris

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  21:16:08  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't use your back to lift your ego, that's one intelligent statement there! I just wish I could follow it.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  21:28:53  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do still lift some heavy stuff, but more careful "how" I do the lifting. Younger years I plain used my back...now use my legs instead of bending my back. If position requires bending...I get something to do the lifting for me. My younger years of back problems were a sciatic nerve pinched. Never had it since then & never want it again!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic