Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 6017 / Visits Today: 3700
Highest Active Users: 6017
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Bush Hog Restoration
 D4-10 Restore Begins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  15:39:35  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've had this D4-10 for several years now & finally pulled it into my shop to start tearing her completely down. Likely going to hire it all sandblasted, as it's so much to do and would take me forever with my small blaster. Hoping to do my best restore to this one. This will actually be my first "true" restoration, as it will be all original with none of my usual "changes" to suit myself. Will likely take a year or more to finish, but who knows. This is a pic of it this past summer spike harrowing in wheat cover crop into my "new" garden area.

Below is "teardown mode". Got the differential draining...contaminated oil, plus going to take apart & do thorough check/cleaning plus new seals. Isn't that the cutest little clutch! All the sheet metal & some other parts all on my mobile shelf unit till blasting time. Just a few bolts in chassis to remove, plus disassemble all the dash components. The engine gets rebuilt...maybe. If it's cylinder is in good shape & will still accept std piston. If worn bad, I'll likely use engine off the parts tractor. It hardly smokes at all, none when warm. Hoping to use the original engine though.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Edited by - olcowhand on 01/21/2009 15:41:35

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  15:51:24  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dan, I'm going to be really watching this post; I've got a D4-10 in my backyard...

Michael
Go to Top of Page

jac

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  18:18:43  Show Profile  Visit jac's Homepage Send jac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel, where do you get all that ambition?
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  18:29:16  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jac

Daniel, where do you get all that ambition?

To tell the truth, my ambition is shrinking with every year. It's just that if I don't just tear into something, I'll never start and just keep putting it off. I really hated in a way to start on this one, as it ran & operated, but I figure next year I'll even be less likely, so just got into it now before I get too lazy. Plus, I promised the fellow that I bought it from that I would restore it. He grew up just down the road, and this tractor was bought new by his deceased father-in-law, an he said his wife would really love to see it get fixed back up. "Red" as we call him said he would have liked to have fixed her up, but admitted he barely handled spark plug changes. I'm not likely to do another for a LONG time, but who knows....if I can lose some weight & feel better, I might keep on keeping on.

Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  20:03:15  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man! Those are built HEAVY DUTY! Interesting design, I am sure it will look showroom new when you finish.
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  23:26:48  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that a bucket of split pea soup under your tractor?.
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  11:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Man! Those are built HEAVY DUTY! Interesting design"

I agree.

Like all I see except the Kohler engine.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  12:39:39  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a Wisconsin engine... I'd like to know if we can swap that engine to a Briggs. My Wisconsin is suspect.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  12:48:43  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B112

It's a Wisconsin engine... I'd like to know if we can swap that engine to a Briggs. My Wisconsin is suspect.

I know a guy on my Bush Hog group that has a D4-12 with Briggs. Came with Tecumseh only. The older Briggs have the back of block tapped to accept the bell housing, but you'd have to machine the end of the crankshaft to accept the pilot bushing for the clutch shaft. So it CAN be done!

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  12:52:20  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got some done today, but found a problem. The right side axle is twisted bad just where it enters carrier. Good I have a parts tractor...surely one will be good on it! Got all clean inside, now to pull axle out of spare. Gonna see about new seals even though these didn't leak. Seems they hold forever till you mess with them.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  12:25:33  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the transaxle finished a while back, but due to ice storm & everything, not much else done till this morning. After milking I went to shoot some paint on wheel weights I bought for the Bush Hog JBI (plow time soon for garden). Decided while shooting red to paint the D4-10 transaxle as well.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  21:00:13  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not had any time forever to work on this Bush Hog, but this morning started my day off, so got up early & sandblasted myself silly on the engine. I took the engine down last week. I have a NOS piston & rings set and bore is like new. Replaced one guide. Crank & rod are great. Anyway, today I got from a dirty block/sheet metal to this:

Then to this:

Not bad for about 3 to 4 hours!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  21:49:54  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looking good, do you have all your running gear sorted out?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  22:07:07  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

looking good, do you have all your running gear sorted out?

I think it's all here somewhere! Yep, think it's all ready, except for painting. Transaxle is ready & painted.

Go to Top of Page

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  22:15:47  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks Great! Do you use the self- etching primer? Just curious is all.
Keep up the good work!

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  09:22:51  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acb10_64

Looks Great! Do you use the self- etching primer? Just curious is all.
Keep up the good work!

No, I just use cheapy Walmart primer. I used to use high priced primer, but this cheap stuff does just fine. I've even used it on cars I've painted. Not good for filling pits like bulk primer though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic