Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2208 / Visits Today: 917
Highest Active Users: 2208
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Simplicity 7013S Running Rough
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 7013S Baron has started running rough at high speed. It coughs, misses and backfires; but it starts easily and runs fine at low speed. The point gap is right and the carb is clean and set up properly. What else should I look at? Timing? Thanks.

Denis
7013S

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  21:06:20  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dirty high speed jet. It's backfiring because it's running lean. I wouldn't keep running it that way for very long.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  22:33:55  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coldr

I took the carb apart and it’s spotless. It continues to sputter and backfire even when I richen up the mixture. What now? Thanks.

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

ByronC

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  06:08:32  Show Profile Send ByronC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coil breaking down possibly? Does the carb have a brass piece inserted straight up from the bottom inside from where the main jet is that you can see sticking out slightly through the airflow passage? Did you push it out and inspect the tiny fuel flow holes in it?

Byron---Allis-Chalmers

The Few, The Proud, The Orange.
918H Agco-Allis, and a 928D Grasshopper Diesel.
D-21 Allis-Chalmers
Allis-Chalmers Tech for 7 years.
Go to Top of Page

ByronC

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  10:15:22  Show Profile Send ByronC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Briggs or Kohler?

Byron---Allis-Chalmers

D-21 Allis-Chalmers
Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  11:01:50  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It’s a Briggs, and I’m sure the carb is spotless.

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  11:03:31  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the next thing to try is pull the engine and make sure the coil hasn’t moved. What do you think?

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  13:02:57  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried changing the spark plug? Try the easy things first. A spark plug that shows spark might not fire under compression.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  19:55:22  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’ll replace the plug tomorrow. If that doesn’t do the trick I’ll pull the engine. If I have to do that I’d like to convert to an electronic (pointless) system. Have any of you done this? My Briggs is a 302431. Do you know of one available on Amazon that will fit?

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  12:31:35  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never done it but please keep us updated on how you did it.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  14:58:43  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it wasn’t the plug. I’ll wait a bit to see if anyone else has experience with the electronic ignition system. I can’t find any info on how to adjust the time with that system, but it seems like it has to be installed in the proper position relative to the flywheel just like the original armature.

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

midnightpumpkin

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  21:03:21  Show Profile Send midnightpumpkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had very good results with these universal ignition modules. The replace the points and condenser, but use the original coil. Very easy to install.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/ignition-module/p/33-053

John U
Go to Top of Page

ByronC

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  13:10:06  Show Profile Send ByronC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin

I have had very good results with these universal ignition modules. The replace the points and condenser, but use the original coil. Very easy to install.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/ignition-module/p/33-053

John U

John, it doesn’t show how it mounts. How does it work? Does the plunger that opens and closes the points operate it or do you mount it next to the flywheel and degree it in?

Byron---Allis-Chalmers

D-21 Allis-Chalmers
Go to Top of Page

midnightpumpkin

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  01:09:58  Show Profile Send midnightpumpkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Byron, non of the above.
I am a retired electrical engineer and I have to say it works by majic.
You mount it to a good ground, tin on the engine is fine, connect one wire to the ground point and the other wire to the wire coming from the coil that normally goes to the points, the kill wire from the ignition switch also still connects to the wire from the points.
The module somehow senses the magnetic field when the flywheel magnet approaches the coil and opens the coil circuit at the right time to produce a spark.
It would not work on a Kohler with an external coil, but it is the perfect solution to eliminate points and condenser on a single cylinder Briggs.
I have run one of these on my 7010 for about 10 years, it is the most reliable starting engine in my fleet.
On the other hand, if the coil is bad on a Briggs, converting to a battery ignition with a Kohler coil is a good option.
John U
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  10:14:58  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil. Just the information I was looking for. This morning I was wondering how that thing knew when to fire.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  10:33:20  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like two different ways to approach the problem. I was considering an electronic coil like: https://www.amazon.com/OakTen-Replacement-Ignition-Briggs-Stratton/dp/B07MJM649W
The universal module won’t fix a bad coil, will it? My question about setting the timing referred to the electronic coil., which sounds like the best bet for my problem. My tractor is performing just like a 175 Kawasaki dirt bike I owned 50 years ago. When I opened the throttle all the way, the power just dropped, usually at the steepest part of a hill. It was a bad coil then.

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic