Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1529 / Visits Today: 238
Highest Active Users: 1529
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 New Project.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  19:39:40  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought some 1 3/4 in square tubing and an IHC U4 power unit at an Amish farm auction last Thursday. Today I started building a cart to set the power unit on. Two surplus Simplicity front axles and some tubing and angle iron pieces resulted in this. I still need to add a tongue and steering linkages before I mount the power unit.

This is the unit I bought. I had to remove the tank and some sheet metal so nothing got bent when I loaded it to come home. It is all there and turns but the crank and spark plug wires are gone. I am now looking for a crank as I don't want to add a starter; battery and generator as it did not come with them. Not a garden tractor but still a fun retirement project.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  21:33:12  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your cart looks nice.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  18:16:13  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  19:31:50  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave are you going to leave it 4 wheel steer? That would be great for storing it in tight spaces.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  15:28:46  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is my intent Chris. Bought some metal today to make linkage for the tongue and a connector link between the axles.

Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  20:56:45  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great! Can't wait to see when it's done.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  19:34:33  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I built and welded on the mounting pads today.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  22:17:10  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waiting to see how the steering linkage works out.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  19:51:10  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put a link to the front axle today and added the link between the steering arms. Still need to make a detachable handle/tongue and change the tires/wheels for the narrower FDT type. It's getting there.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  21:27:21  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That thing might turn tighter than the tow vehicle.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  22:57:16  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That came out much simpler than I envisioned. Darned nice engineering!

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

mikeman

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  10:41:28  Show Profile Send mikeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice work!!!
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  21:06:28  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't happy with the steering geometry so I changed it. I then mounted the power unit. With the weight on it the steering still isn't what I want so I will make another small change. But in the meantime I can now move it around in and out of my shop with relative ease.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  21:51:28  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please excuse my ignorance but I have a question. It appears that the trailer frame is is welded both axles. There is a pipe running under the center of the trailer that attaches to the inside of each axle via a yoke. What is that for?

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  00:02:27  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris; that yoke is the rear pivot point of the axle when it is in a Sim/Allis tractor. It goes through a bushing that mounts to the tractor frame under the engine and allows the front axle to follow the contours of the ground you are mowing. The mower front mounts attach to the holes in the yoke brackets. Because the yoke pivot points were facing each other I welded a tube between them to help keep the axles from trying to tip. There are also angle iron pieces welded under the frame rails and to the face of the axles.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  09:35:02  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. Figured you must have a reason and it makes sense now.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic