Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2512 / Visits Today: 122
Highest Active Users: 2512
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 New Project.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  22:07:17  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that power unit is bigger than I thought.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  18:35:41  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

I wasn't happy with the steering geometry so I changed it. I then mounted the power unit. With the weight on it the steering still isn't what I want so I will make another small change. But in the meantime I can now move it around in and out of my shop with relative ease.

...in my head this works out....

If you add a center lever pivot and make it longer biased the input side, you could essentially change the ratio at which you turn the rear wheels in relation to the front.

Because you know, you need some more engineering in this cart.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  22:22:49  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

ByronC

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  06:42:58  Show Profile Send ByronC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As stubborn as I am, Me Be Learning!

Byron---Allis-Chalmers

The Few, The Proud, The Orange.
918H Agco-Allis, and a 928D Grasshopper Diesel.
D-21 Allis-Chalmers
Allis-Chalmers Tech for 7 years.
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  17:13:25  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count; are you trying to complicate my life? The steering actually works quite well with the 1 to 1 set up as it is now. The small change I still intend to make is to change the flat tubing tongue for a solid piece of flat steel and move my tie rod back towards the pivot point about 1 1/2 inches and cut off the excess length of steering arm at the wheel end. The flat tubing is too thin of a gauge and flexes a bit under loading and push/pulling so it has to go.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  18:42:19  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

Count; are you trying to complicate my life? The steering actually works quite well with the 1 to 1 set up as it is now. The small change I still intend to make is to change the flat tubing tongue for a solid piece of flat steel and move my tie rod back towards the pivot point about 1 1/2 inches and cut off the excess length of steering arm at the wheel end. The flat tubing is too thin of a gauge and flexes a bit under loading and push/pulling so it has to go.

First off I didn't say it before but, I think this cart is really cool, totally my style!

Actually a co-worker was talking to me about BMW's integral active steering, so I had been researching this about a week ago! At low speed the rears never exceed 3 degrees of rotation. I think this is the "magic" number before the vehicle becomes too responsive and loses the anticipated driving dynamics. Anyway, I then saw this thread and thought how could one emulate that mechanically? I meant not to digress or to detract from the awesomeness of this creation.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  21:01:02  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave you will need to cut a video when you get it finished. I’m curious to see how it will follow the tow unit. It would be cool if it made only one track.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic