Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1161 / Visits Today: 233
Highest Active Users: 1161
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Generac Centurian Guardian Generator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  23:06:42  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my new project: (Sorry it's not old and rusty)

Manual HERE:
http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/upload/B112/centurion-installation-manual.pdf

It's yet another thing to maintain and work on. It's a Generac Brand 3.4KW generator. I think it is discontinued, because Generac wasn't aware of this model. It was advertised as an "EASY, No Cost Installation" generator. New off ebay directly from a retailer and it has a two year warrentee. Generac was very helpful on the phone.

Anyway this is the propane gas hookup. Which I am talking with my propane supplier to see about connecting this up to my houses tanks also.

This is the transfer switch which was included.

Here's the beef! What we all like... the engine:

Hopefully you guys won't beat me up too much on buying that engine, as I didn't do as much homework as I probably should on the engine. I did do a lot of homework on generators available and I couldn't find an electric start generator with a transfer switch anywhere close to what I paid. Further, I wouldn't have had a UL listed device or something I could trust would be insured if there was a failure. So now I have to add to my long list of projects to get this fully hooked up.

As I've been doing, I'll let you hear about my success and hopefully not failures. Share... enjoy!

Technical Details:
There is a complete wiring diagram and unit assembly diagrams.

It doesn't have an automatic excercisor, so I will need to figure out how to exercise this weekly through some automated tool I'm designing. I've already checked that I would not void the warrentee if I turn off the power outlet which the transfer switch plugs into, this I'd be able to simulate an outage to exercise the unit. For now, I'll just plan to exercise it.

The manual can be found on line at this location:

http://cableorganizer.com/generators/generac-generators-centurion.htm
(Note: This company lists this generator as still available)

The manual is attached here:
http://michaelstractors.com/generator/centurion-installation-manual.pdf

Only one GFI outlet is switched with the transfer switch. The other outlet is available when the generator operates.

It uses a type U1 Battery which is our standard Lawn Tractor battery!

It uses the Generac GN-220 engine.

And Jacks Small Engine sells parts for this:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index_geneng_parts.html

Here's a third party exercise monitor:
http://www.flightsystems.com/generator_exercise_monitor.htm

Model #: 0047910
SN: 3762455
Volts: 120
Amps: 28.3
Max Wattage: 3500
Running Wattage: 3400

The front of the generator control panel has a three way switch which in the center is off. To the left/Auto will put the generator in standby mode. To the right/Manual will put the generator in manual mode (which I believe is just grounding #17).

Generator is triggered to start by Blue line #17 being brought to Green line GND. This is brought to ground either by the transfer switch relay or the momentary contact switch on the transfer switch. When energized it will cause the generator to blink a single blink on the control panel. Line #17 goes straight to the control board and the starting of the generator is completely automatic.

When the generator is running, it supplies voltage to the Red/Black lines using white and green as the common. There are 15amp circuit breakers on the front of the generator which can be pulled out to disable a circuit or tripped; when pressed in the circuit is engaged.

The generator comes with a battery in a battery box area. It's a little tight in that compartment and there is no trickle charger on the battery; assumed the generator is cycled weekly.

The propane connections are plastic. The engine has a low oil shutoff.

This generator is under a two year warrentee after purchase on 12/23/08 by Generac:

Generac Power Systems
Hwy. 59 & Hillside Road
P.O. Box 8
Waukesha, WI 53187
800-333-1322
GENERAC® POWER SYSTEMS, INC. • P.O. BOX 8 • WAUKESHA, WI 53187
PH: (262) 544-4811 • FAX: (262) 544-4851

A call to a registered Generac Dealer showed that the spark was good using a Briggs and Stratton Spark tester. Two brand new LP Tanks were used in the setup of the system in a test setup.

A second service call by the same Generac Dealer fixed the problem and found that the gas regulator system was getting stuck. It was opened and cleaned to fix the problem.

Michael

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  08:22:43  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update on this generator... I've had a pad built and the generator actually mounted outside (pictures pending). Then I wired the generator into the house using conduit and seal-tite. Extending the five wires of the transfer switch with an exact color match of 12guage stranded wire. I reviewed the wiring diagram of the generator to understand that if you put the blue wire to green(ground), that is the trigger line which is used to exercise the generator. Since this Generator didn't come with an automatic exercise circuit, my solution was to install a 24x7 AC timer and drive a SPST 120V coil relay to bring the Green and Blue wires to closurer. I have the AC timer set to turn on/off twice a week for one minute. After testing this installation I found the manual exercise portion of this generator keeps the generator running for seven minutes to charge the battery. The main reason I needed the AC timer and relay was that there is a 24x7 timer which brings closure of contacts rated for 120VAC is very rare... i.e. being much more expensive than my solution. Anyway, this is how this generator is installed and I'll plan to update this as I improve my remote monitoring and control circuits.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  09:41:01  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is nice. I need to set up a permenent location for my 5500 watt generator and get a natural gas converter. I have 40 gal of gas left over from the last hurricane scare.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 11/26/2009 09:42:59
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  10:26:36  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So here's my generator hookup with pictures as mentioned were coming.

The fuel is supplied by a 100 gallon tank:

That then goes to this shutoff valve (I'll need to paint that rusty connector)

Which then goes to the regulator on the generator. Notice the place where two twenty pound tanks has been replaced with this larger fuel supply and plugged to prevent leaks.

Just a different angle:

And this is how the main tank looks: (the tank is empty at this point and will be safety checked shortly)

My temporary monitoring solution is to plug a radio into an AC outlet within the house which is supplied power only when the generator is running. That way when the generator fires, the radio will play near my home monitoring system and I'll know when the generator is functioning. My monitoring system and be adjusted to call me when a audio sound is detected so I'll know the generator is fired weekly when the system is permantly on line.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2023 :  07:04:49  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was good I documented this generator install, I now know that the generator is 14 years old. The generator has had two failures where the unit got stuck on and emptied the 100 gallon tank. After the first failure I replaced the motherboard and did not have a failure for a few years since April 2021. The second failure was September 2023. I am now making sure the transfer switch design is not causing the failure and making sure I have a house watcher as the home is remote. Further adding in a Gen 2 Vue energy monitor and Wyze camera on the system to watch over the generator. (I guess now it's rusty and old!)

The motherboard is this part:
https://anyrvparts.com/products/generac-0e4914-pcb-3-5kw-home-standby-control-assembly
Generac 0E4914 0E49140SRV PCB 3.5KW Home Standby Control Assembly
Regular price$188.91

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2023 :  00:32:54  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy smokes (No pun intended) that has to be concerning. Are you saying you dumped 200 gallons of propane into that thing? It must be very quiet if no one heard it running.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2023 :  17:57:32  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I now have a 18kw Generac my daughter gave us for a Christmas gift two years ago. I may consider going to LP though it is considerably more expensive. I’m on Natural gas but as more and more households hook to NG the less viable that utility is.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 11/05/2023 19:15:44
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2023 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

Holy smokes (No pun intended) that has to be concerning. Are you saying you dumped 200 gallons of propane into that thing? It must be very quiet if no one heard it running.

I dumped 80-90 gallons on the last failure, who knows on the first failure. It's quieter than the average units, but my neighbor just let it run... people mind their own business and tell you after it ran for two days...

Michael
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2023 :  18:47:46  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

I now have a 18kw Generac my daughter gave us for a Christmas gift two years ago. I may consider going to LP though it is considerably more expensive. I’m on Natural gas but as more and more households hook to NG the less viable that utility is.

I am planning on updating my broken 12K to an 18K. Unfortunately, the generator unit failed and the part is excessively expensive. Engine on the unit is fine.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2023 :  12:38:24  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Around here at least newer used units seem to sell for reasonable. I suppose your going to have to update your service wiring as that's quite a jump in capacity.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2023 :  19:32:19  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I suppose your going to have to update your service wiring as that's quite a jump in capacity.

My electrician is advising I can get an 18K generator without the transfer switch and use my existing wiring. So I only need to get a generator without the switch.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2023 :  21:34:41  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear the engine will be running for more than a minute. Ideally You would want to the engine to come up to operating temp. so you don't have condensation laying in the exhaust and crankcase. Using your home monitor is a great idea.
For your information Generac is one of the engines that "was" being used to power Ultralight aircraft. I don't know if they still are or not. Anyway at sometime people must have thought they were reliable.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2023 :  09:18:27  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...so you don't have condensation laying in the exhaust and crankcase...

Appreciate the tip.

quote:

... fyi: Generac is one of the engines that "was" being used to power Ultralight aircraft.

I didn't know that. Still working on the monitoring system. :)
(Never without a project -)

Michael
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic