Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1124 / Visits Today: 1124
Highest Active Users: 1124
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 A run up to the SOO for a tiller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  15:37:23  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a tiller on craigslist about three weeks ago and it was hooked to a Broadmoor with no engine. I asked if he would sell the tiller separately and it took 3 weeks but he finally replied yes. I ran up to Sault Ste. Marie, as far north in Michigan you go on I-75 before Canada(about 4 hours from me) and picked it up. Stopped at an awesome hot dog place in Mackinaw City on the way back. I hooked it on to my sons Broadmoor even though it cant power it just to see it looked on a tractor. It is pretty involved to attach it so I was I would have waited but oh well. Always wanted one of these.

Jon

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  20:48:44  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice find Jon. Do you have a small frame with a PTO? Or is another tractor in your future? Maybe your wife would like to till a garden patch.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  09:27:21  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, I will try to make this brief! I have a 738 for my oldest daughter, but it looked like the previous owner had welded something on to the hitch so I just put it on the older Broadmoor for fun. However, when I saw it wouldn't fit while running it last night(the lever to raise/lower the tiller was coming into contact with the hi/lo unit on the side of the trans while running) I decided to try and put it on the 738. Needless to say I switched the hitches out and got the tiller on part way(again, a previous owner has modified the 738 and hooked the clutch return spring into the slot needed for the upper tiller bolt!) but the biggest problem is the length of the lift lever. This tiller was on a 717(which I thought they all had the 2-speed trans without the pto) and the rod fits perfectly on that model, which is the same as my sons in the photos. However, the lift levers were changed going from the round hood models to the square hood models and the lift rod for the tiller is way too long for the 738. Now, there is a couple of holes to make the rod different lengths, as it also was to work on the Yeoman, so I am hoping I can use those to make it the correct length. If the rain stops here today I will try it out. Photos below show the difference.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  12:21:16  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, go it to work. But I'm not happy with it. I would love to see someone else who has a small frame tiller how theirs is hooked up. The lift rod for the tiller is actually two pieces of steel so you can adjust it by using different mounting holes. However, the only way I got it to be the right length is to ditch the one half of it and just use a clip to mount it to the tiller bracket. This is fine for the show coming up but I don't think I would want the abuse of using the tiller to be handled by this setup.

Here is the setup I needed to use:

Here is the piece I didn't use:

Here is a shot from the manual, nowhere does it say not to use the one piece, so something isn't right!!

Jon
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  19:01:58  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a puzzle for sure Jon. Does Josh have a small frame tiller mounted? Otherwise I hope someone who does chimes in to help you solve the mystery of the lift arm length. I presume you are talking about the Mason Mi. show. When is it?.....Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  19:41:54  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Dave, in Mason, MI. It is this next weekend I will be at the grounds every day this week getting everything ready! Not sure if Josh does or not, I know he has a couple small frames and he was looking for a tiller at one point but searching the website here didn't produce any results. Maybe he'll chime in.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  05:58:24  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm no help, I have a Homesteader 8 with tiller but it's lift rod is one piece and made of round stock. Another I had previously was the same. Apparently yours is older? The one I had previously I put to use for a while, did a fantastic job. Amazing what these little buggers can do !

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  08:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jon, sorry to be late to the game! There were different lift arms. The late round type is what you need, and I do not have one to work from. I have a few small frame rear attachments, but sadly, have never yet mounted them! I will by using them on my 525, and I do have a buddy out on the East Coast who did the trouble shooting necessary to use the lift rod you have, on 3 speed Serf's. I think you have a 515 though, correct?

How was the show!?

Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  16:15:40  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your crazier than I am if you put that on a Serf! :) I see the literature says for the Yeoman and Broadmoor but not the Serf, and with how heavy that thing is not sure I would want to try it. I have both a 515 and 535 but the 535 is being restored, so it is on the 738 right now. If I put a bolt through where I just put a pin for now it would be stable enough I would think. But getting the upper bracket to line up with the seat bracket without the pulley touching the underside of the fender seems tricky. I have it mounted on the 738 but it would not be able to be used at this point.

Jon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic