Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2352 / Visits Today: 1061
Highest Active Users: 2352
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 How to test your small batteries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  12:11:47  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was tired of throwing out or using bad batteries. Needed to diagnose a device. You simply put a 100 ohm resister across the volt meter and read the voltage your batteries put out. I found two or three batteries in our bad battery box (to be recycled) that were good with this test. Other than that I needed to test why a sprinkler wasn't working and it told me I put a bad battery in thinking it was good.

Here's a video on how to test batteries with an ohm meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcikzMG7mMU

Hope you find it useful!
Michael

P.S. Cleaning my garage today and trying to get back to some fun projects.

Michael

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  14:23:06  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a nifty little tester they works great for all the standard sizes. A 9v will tell you in a jiff whether or not it's good if you stick it to your tongue. It's shockingly easy.

Thanks for sharing as I knew the multimeter did not work. Now I know why.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 07/22/2014 22:19:30
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  17:30:32  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's shockingly easy.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  07:59:11  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the shockingly easy quote too! Yeah I didn't know why and that's why I looked it up. With kids these days, we go through load of batteries.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  20:37:43  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed years ago when we were buying "batteries" by the case that rechargeable batteries only delivered 1.2 volts but at a much higher rate mA. When the kids were racing battery powered track cars those cars with nicads would smoke the cars with alkaline batteries but would slow down sharply after a few laps while the alkaline powered cars just kept plodding along. I dropped what I thought was a spent ni-cad in my pocket and some how shorted it out with my keys. It instantly lit me up, burned a hole in the bottom of my pocket and welded two keys together.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 07/24/2014 20:40:08
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  21:18:30  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you weren't hurt but it would have been interesting to see how you handled that situation while trying to get your pocket emptied.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  07:24:37  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know this battery test with 100 ohms was for the regular batteries. I wonder if the load is correct for a Nicad battery. I'll need to look into that.

Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic