Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3611 / Visits Today: 3375
Highest Active Users: 3611
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 diesel bolens glow plugs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  16:45:26  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DGT 1700 is not starting so well, I get power to all 3 glowplugs, but it seems that they are not all working. Has a lot of black smoke and missing for a minute or so.WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CHECK EM?

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  22:07:33  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can take them out of the head and hook the power back up to them and see if all three glow. They must be grounded to do this. Or take an ohm meter and check and see if you get the same reading on all of them.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  10:23:27  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will get on it today, 65 degrees......29 tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  20:01:17  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
checked em out today, 1 bad. NGK y145t had to order from england
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  21:14:46  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity how did your check them.
I've heard of people picking up glow plugs at NAPA. Haven't tried them myself.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

powerstroke1971

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  23:33:37  Show Profile  Visit powerstroke1971's Homepage Send powerstroke1971 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
black smoke from a diesel is a choked air inlet. Inop glow plugs usually generate blue-gray smoke with a cold engine, but clears up quickly.
Go to Top of Page

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  19:44:00  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took them out and put 12v to em. I spent a lot of time at napa, oreillys autozone and a diesel repair shop.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  19:53:21  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back when I had my kubotas I used to plumb a hair dryer into the air intake to preheat the intake air to ease cold starting in cold weather.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 12/04/2013 19:54:47
Go to Top of Page

mikeman

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  12:23:16  Show Profile Send mikeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like koboatas are cold blooded.
How cold could it have been Phil?
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  14:51:32  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Can't speak for the newer Kubota engines but the older ones do like glow plugs to start cold. Even after setting for a little while warming the glow plugs a little get's you instant starts and saves wear on the starter.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  19:38:54  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeman

Sounds like koboatas are cold blooded.
How cold could it have been Phil?

No very cold. I don't think the glow plugs on the G1800 worked at all. I never could pin it down as it did not have a dedicated glow plug circuit like the G5200. The G1800 was hard to start in August so I didn't even try in February. It was a pain when they wouldn't start especially if they were blocking other tractors or equipment. They had no freewheel feature so a dead tractor was a 600 pound anchor.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  12:51:26  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
They had no freewheel feature so a dead tractor was a 600 pound anchor.

Boy that's for sure.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

mikeman

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  12:15:19  Show Profile Send mikeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure I make fun of the kobotas.
Tried starting the 920H Sunday at 24 degrees til the battery died.
Go to Top of Page

Paulcurtis3

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2013 :  11:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Paulcurtis3's Homepage Send Paulcurtis3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bobcat has a kabota . Starts in the coldest of weather with glow plugs, not at all below 30 without them. However my other one has a Mitsubishi and it will start no matter how cold without anything.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2013 :  12:01:47  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally installed a soft plug heater on the Kubota D950. One hour with that on the coldest days and it starts like it is July. Love it.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic