Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 6044 / Visits Today: 2869
Highest Active Users: 6044
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Suzuki geezer windshield modification
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  03:05:24  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the small OEM windshield on my motorcycle and had been looking for a new one because the wind noise from it was incredible. I could hear nothing but wind with or without plugs. I am only about 5' 10" but am very tall from the waist up. The turbulance coming off the top of the shield was buffeting my face badly right at eye level. It was really effecting my level of enjoyment and I am sure my shifting was suffering as I absolutely could not hear the shirt points. This evening I tried a trick, I read about on the GZ250 forum, of turning the windshield mounts upside down and swaping them left for right. Funny that looking at the brackets you would think the difference in height would be only about an inch and a half but it turns out to be better than twice that. The result is it apparently moves the wind turbulence up over the top edge of my helmit. The result is a much quieter ride even with a half helmit and with the full open face helmit it is even more quiet to the point that I can now hear the chain running. I took a ride tonight and was astounded that I can now hear everything going on around me and can now hear my shift points. It certainly improves my riding pleasure and I am sure will improve my shifting now that I can hear the engine.

It may be a bit strange looking mounted that high but the end results are nothing short of astounding. I wonder how it will change my fuel economy, which is currently averaging 75 mpg, plus or minus. Without my face being up in the wind.
I would expect it to improve.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 05/01/2012 03:06:57

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  08:56:54  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It shouldn't affect your mileage much if at all. Same frontage pretty much. The increased frontage of the speedo area will match what was hitting your face. Who cares if it looks strange to some....it works!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic