Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1289 / Visits Today: 1289
Highest Active Users: 1289
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Dang it I got my first tank dent on my GZ250
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  23:32:44  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I did not drop the bike, not the gz250 anyway. I was in the shed which is overfull of stuff and I stepped over the saddle and put my foot down on what I thought was the peg.....bam the $25 mountain bike that was standing next to my new toy slammed into the side of the tank. I was stepping in the peddle of the bicycle rather than the right hand peg. I took off my sunglasses and sure enough I had a nice dent just behind the "S" placard on the right side of the tank. Gosh, I hate that and from a rusty old bicycle.

Well, some years ago I bought a "Twist-a-Dent", dent reducer that I tried in some parking lot damage with limited success. I was not sure if it was a good idea but I decided I had to give it a try.

I followed the directions and held my breath as I could see the tank flexing under the strain of the puller. Just about the time I figured I better stop the dent puller popped off as it was supposed to but it left a huge glob of hot glue that I have never seen happen before. It took me about thirty minutes to scrape the hot glue off without damaging the finish. It was so difficult that it made me shy away from trying it again even though it is recommended that you pull a dent up to ten times before quitting. Once I got the glue off I could see that the dent was reduced by about 1/2. It no longer seems to jump out at me when I look at the tank. I may try it again but not today. I am going to try riding her as she is and see if it is slight enough that I can easily ignore it.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 03/27/2012 23:35:39

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  23:37:15  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will admit to laughing at the pedal part if you promise not to get mad
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  09:42:19  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea on using that dent puller. You might be right about leaving well enough alone. Not hardly noticeable anymore.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  11:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...Fromt eh pics, it looks to have done a wonderful job! Certainly much better than before you took a crack at it.

Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  12:52:10  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my father used to be crazy about never get scratches and dents on anything...as kids we were never allowed to use the snowmachine...never allowed to be near the outboard for fear of scratches and dents

now he's too old to do anything...the old snowmachine sits in the yard all wrecked from sun damage ..the outboard sits in a shed with a leaking roof that is ready to collapse.......but they probably still work since they were barely used <sarcasm>

the point of my rant is that ive learned not to care about dents and scratches and just have fun
Go to Top of Page

wlewis379

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  01:08:08  Show Profile Send wlewis379 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BRAD1975

my father used to be crazy about never get scratches and dents on anything...as kids we were never allowed to use the snowmachine...never allowed to be near the outboard for fear of scratches and dents

now he's too old to do anything...the old snowmachine sits in the yard all wrecked from sun damage ..the outboard sits in a shed with a leaking roof that is ready to collapse.......but they probably still work since they were barely used <sarcasm>

the point of my rant is that ive learned not to care about dents and scratches and just have fun

I bought a 2002 Ranger pickup 2 years ago. It came with a dent in the drivers side front fender Its still there. Runs great though.
I agree with you life is to short just go have fun.

Happy Trails Bill

Insert Image:

People who are all wrapped up in themselves are overdressed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic