Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3829 / Visits Today: 2081
Highest Active Users: 3829
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 AC Scamp 5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  20:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Scamp I was looking at turned out to be a real gem, AND...despite the CL listing being listed for a town 45 minutes away, a chat with the PO revealed he was 2.6 miles from my house! No idea why the listing showed otherewise This was officially the shortest drive I've had

Looks, runs and mows great...all the original decals and tags are there, the finish is amazingly well kept, no smoke and the original tires aren't even showing weather checking. I need to take some soap and water to it, and it will need a seat.

PO was a super neat guy, probably not even 35, and has a beautiful little place overlooking a small local lake. Turns out I bowhunt on state land adjacent to his property, and he welcomed me to stop by anytime, and showed me where to park if I ever wanted to hunt there (this is a grand gesture here in MI).

He's a repo guy, and had lots of tales. He took my info and added it to a file in his work truck. He said anytime he runs across Simplicity or Allis stuff, he'll shoot me an email with pics!

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  20:54:33  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good connection and story! So what was the score price?

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  21:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave him the $100 he was asking, with new Simplicity belts...didn't have the heart to dicker. Some soap will have it looking nearly new =] I drove it all over...it's a 2 speed, like my Wonderboy, and I don't think you could scalp a thing with that 26" deck and rollers. It pivots in the center like the Wonderboy too...pretty neat contraption and operation is very smooth and user friendly. PO was the second owner and had all the paperwork too!

He said he had several dozen calls over 3 weeks, yet I was the only person to stop by. His original price was $200 and I ignored the ad until I saw it drop, then drop some more.

Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  21:38:39  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great looking little machine, Josh!

Share some more pics of that beefed up golf cart behind it, please.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Go to Top of Page

simplicityacnut

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  22:56:12  Show Profile  Visit simplicityacnut's Homepage Send simplicityacnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool little mower man
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  00:27:42  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some one said they thought it looked like a snapper? It looks like what a snapper would want to be when it grew up. Is it an actual geared transmission?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Homesteader

438 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  10:14:58  Show Profile Send Homesteader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad someone else got it that will take good care of the little fellow. Looks as good as I had hoped from that first pic that you had posted.

After seeing good pics, I think I was wrong about the deck size. That really looks like the 24" deck instead of the 26". If it is really a 24", is the blade a right hand cut like it shows in the manual? Seems odd on a left hand discharge.

Included below are links to the manuals, both A-C parts and Simplicity, just in case you don't have them:

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cvMYrE3CSl54bp796Dq

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8cuM0rE3CSl5kbp796Dq

Edit:

Hey,... after looking at the earlier pic again I see that's not the same Scamp (different decals) so I probably was right about the deck being a 26" on that one.

Greg

Edited by - Homesteader on 12/08/2011 10:55:03
Go to Top of Page

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  10:35:19  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool find Josh! Paint looks good.

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  15:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greg, I noticed the difference also, and the PO said he simply used a photo from the internet. Not sure why...the machine looks great. I also noticed the one pictured in the listing has decals that match the ad from the '72 AC brochure, which says 26" deck.
http://www.simpletractors.com/models/scamp.htm

I'm not really sure what model # I have on my hands, and am not finding much info, so the links to the manuals are fantastic! I do see some differences between mine and the Scamps parts diagrams...decals, throttle control, etc., however, it matches the WB305 perfectly. Things are pointing toward a 1970 model.
http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1970/wonder_boy.htm

My thought is that this one looks older than the one in the ad...the decals look a bit dressier on those. I could be all washed up, and I'll look for some #'s on the machine and Briggs later. Mine is a 24" deck, like the smaller version for the WB305.

Phil, based on the literature..."two-speed forward and reverse all-gear transmission". I have not investigated the machine to any extent yet, but hope to learn more soon.

Go to Top of Page

Richard L.

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  17:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Richard L.'s Homepage Send Richard L. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a cherry Scamp also. Painfully slow mowing with those. I think the top speed is 2 mph and a 26" deck made for a long afternoon mowing 3 acres at my last house. Got it from an old farmer about 10 miles from Port Washington plant. Paid $150. I doubt he ever used it as it had been sitting a good long time in his barn when I spotted it after he'd given me a tour of his barns and outbuildings where he had 2 PowerMax's and 2 Sunstars plus 5 other AC farm tractors. I left it for the new homeowners when I moved back to Ct.. Their kids got a kick out of it at least. I think you'll find cruising for any info on them the most you'll find will be in the Simplicity counterparts.
Go to Top of Page

Homesteader

438 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  18:02:35  Show Profile Send Homesteader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Josh, I'm pretty sure yours is model #1600150 with serial number lower than 27301001. All lower than that number were made like yours. It tells in the parts listing which parts go on which machine. Those with serial number 27301001 and higher had some different parts including the decals and throttle control (serial #27341001 and higher) that you mentioned.

Not sure what year they started the Scamp, but before them were the Mow-Bees and the Scamper 7.

Greg

Edited by - Homesteader on 12/08/2011 18:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  06:41:02  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greg, I figured the earlier version was pre-'72, since the later version was shown in the '72 brochure. My Serial numbers confirms what we've seen in the manual (S/N 1502279), but my Briggs is dated '72 (S/N 7203157). Perhaps they began the Scamp by using left over 305 components, then changed them over? Interesting stuff...

Go to Top of Page

Homesteader

438 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  14:25:33  Show Profile Send Homesteader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that brochure was December of '72 and was probably for the 1973 model year. That model was model #1600273 for the Scamp 5, I'm pretty sure. The Simplicity cross to that model was #990900 (325WB and 26" deck).

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8auI3rE3CSl5kbp796Dq

I believe the first three numbers of your serial number are actually to designate the model #1600150. The next model change would have 273 as the start of the serial number designating model #1600273.

Karl Brandt from http://www.simplicityva.com/ and over at S&ACGTC has or had what he says is a 1970 Scamp 5. You may want to get in touch with him to find out if he's positive of the year model. Everything I've come up with says '72 being the start. Curious that the last model year of the WB305 was supposedly '71, but then again A-C and Simplicity were supposed to have separate manufacturing at the time.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  15:57:16  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I follow ya Grag...makes sense. I wasn't aware Karl had one, but looking at his, it's a gem. Might have to touch base with him and see what info he has.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic