Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 20740 / Visits Today: 18992
Highest Active Users: 20740
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Gang Reel Grab
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  20:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have had a few want ads out on the net for some time...the longest of which going back over a year was for a gang reel, or even parts of a gang reel. I was hoping for Simplicity stuff, but I figured the chances were slim.

Rob found his 3-gang real a month or so back, and it was PERFECT! Today, in reviewing my local Thursday auction listing...I found it! A three gang reel, that looks mostly complete and matches several of the Allis/Simplicity gang reel ad photos I've referenced in my search.

I hope to grab my goods tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. I believe them to be a 'reel' steal

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  20:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couple more from the '64 catalog...

If anyone can find pics of the leading mower hitch to the tractor...I'd love to see it!

Edited by - Talntedmrgreen on 10/27/2011 20:49:42
Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  21:18:03  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck Josh! Nice find.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  21:32:40  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice find and look forward to getting a report on how effect your mowing goes! I've thought about those for the fields I wanted to help cut.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  21:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won them with lots of 'room' and sounds like tomorrow afternoon I will have time to pick them up. Im not sure how much cutting they will see, but I will have to give them a try. I think they will be a neat showpiece behind one of the Wonderboy's!

Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  07:32:18  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geeze Josh, I see a pole barn in your near future as your basement and garage must be getting full!

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Go to Top of Page

Homesteader

438 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  07:40:11  Show Profile Send Homesteader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

If anyone can find pics of the leading mower hitch to the tractor...I'd love to see it!

Looks like all parts are there for the 3 Gang. The 5 Gang had a different hitch to the tractor. I believe the picture of the 3 Gang in that catalog was really a 5 Gang with the two outside mowers detached.

#990273 3 Gang:

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCzEN8cuG7rE3CSl5kbp796Dq

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8aqJ5rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

#990275 5 Gang

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCzEN8cuH2rE3CSl5kbp796Dq

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8aqJ7rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  07:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I need somethin. My folks have a 28x34' pole barn up the road, and I keep some stuff up there, but in the colder seasons, it has a couple boats in there, which soaks up a lot of my borrowed space. They have a 3 stall garage there too, and that has a tractor in it...then they have a stall accessible fromt the back yard, and yup...there's some larger parts (tranny's frames, sheetmetal) and a tractor in there too, waiting to push snow. Then I have a couple off-site, being borrowed...

Come show season, I'm going to have quite a job just figuring out what to take. I have a 101"x26' non-enclosed trailer, and I think I could fill it twice. What does 4 or 5 tractors loaded with attachments weigh, anyway?

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  07:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see what you're saying Greg...I might be in better shape than I thought! I cannot imagine finding a 5-gang. Wonder how many they even sold? Based on teh '61 price list, the 3-gang was $215...which was 33% of the cost of an entire, only new electric start 725 tractor. For comparison, the 'new' 42" rotary mower was $115. The 5-gang doesn't show up in the price lists until '64, and at a price of $375. By '67, the 3-gang and 5-gang were up to $272 & $473, respectively. Ouch!

Also, wonder what the difference is between the 3-gang #990180 (1961) vs 3-gang #990273 (1964)? I cannot pull up the former on Simplicity's site.

Go to Top of Page

Homesteader

438 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  09:07:11  Show Profile Send Homesteader a Private Message  Reply with Quote

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cvM3rE3CSl54bp796Dq

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  09:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...Interesting. I found it listed in the Simplicity price list, but never checked my Allis Attachment Catalog. There are light differences, and they look to have been made to accommodate the addition of the 5-gang reel set. I take it the 'first type' 3-gang did not allow for a 5-gang setup.

I had seen pics of the 3 roller version somewhere...might have been in literature for the 2-gang Wonderboy reels.

Go to Top of Page

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  14:41:51  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a Simplicity but someone might be interested....
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/2653069371.html

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  14:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is actually a very, very, very good price for a gang like that. Those ProMow gang's run well over $1000 new, and many times over $1500. I was amazed to find how much they cost, when I was running into them while searching for vintage GT stuff. The best price I have seen was a 5-gang ProMow, for $500.

If someone actually wants to CUT with a set, that is a steal, as long as it's as nice as it looks.

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  18:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, got them home, and for the most part, they are gems!

First off, they are MUCH heavier and larger than I expected...of course, I didn't really know what to expect. At first I kept talking myself out of what I guessed they weighed when I unloaded, then I looked up the ship weight on the SImplicity price list...yeah, they're heavy alright. The set weighs in at 297#. Each reel is nearly 100#, and they feel it.

The tires show the expected weathering, but the original wood rollers look real good, as does the finish. Fatigued, but that's in better shape than my sicklebar.

They actually were cutting pretty efficiently while I was moving them around by hand, and I did tow one behind the Wonderboy for kicks...they cut! The clippings just fly!

I want to correct the hitch point to the tractor...a chain won't do. Also, one of the wheels was cracked inside the hub pretty severly. I finished her off, and it looks like a simple weld (and it will hide nicely inside the hub)

Go to Top of Page

snohiker

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  20:21:36  Show Profile  Visit snohiker's Homepage Send snohiker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
very nice josh ive draged mine around as well and they do cut nice. and yea they weigh a ton dont they but the 5 footcut is nice to

Rob
]

Edited by - snohiker on 10/28/2011 20:22:35
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  21:02:17  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cschmidt62

Not a Simplicity but someone might be interested....
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/2653069371.html

Hmmm, that is less than an hour from me! Gotta hunt through the couch cushions for lost coins!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic