Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 5699 / Visits Today: 4368
Highest Active Users: 5699
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Front AG's are on the 7790!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

thepatriot

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  15:37:53  Show Profile  Visit thepatriot's Homepage Send thepatriot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ATF

I hope nobody's taking me the wrong way, I also like the looks of the wide AG tires, it's just that they really aren't very functional, mainly for show, and that's okay too

What about stability?

AC B10-Simplicity LL101,7010,7110,7790DIESEL
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  15:59:48  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ATF

you don't see tractors running extra wide bar lug/flotation tires, they're taller and thinner, so they actually work.

maybe you would like to see this.

Of course the configuration of the first D21 was to pull the 7 bottom mod 9000 semi mounted plow that could be adjusted to allow the tractor to plow sitting on level ground or in the furrow. Much to the bewilderment of the AC people, at a show and tell, field day demonstrating the plow and tractor combination, it was discovered that the D21 could pull the plow in the next higher gear with the tractor in the furrow. The narrow tires and duels were made available shortly there after.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 09/09/2010 19:53:00
Go to Top of Page

thepatriot

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  17:16:08  Show Profile  Visit thepatriot's Homepage Send thepatriot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That D21 is awesome!

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:16:36  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Phil, that's great, but it does prove my point. The tractor you posted was performing a job requiring HIGH flotation, not plowing, drilling, or tiling. Normal tractor tires would not work in this instance, and those tires wouldn't be used for plowing. My point is how many times are you going to need HIGH flotation bar lug AG tires on your garden tractor, that would be a job where you were towing a large/heavy trailer/cart, and how many jobs would need real AG tires, like plowing and tilling. I've already conceded that I like the look as much as anyone, it's just not a very functional tire. I mounted my 23x8.50-12 on my 8 inch wide rims, it measures 8 3/8" across the carcass. (tire width term)My 23x10.50-12's on 8 inch rims measure 9 1/2 across the carcass and are 25.00 more per tire, ya think that one inch an one eighth are worth it. If I could find 7.50's I'd rather have them. BTW, 6-12's aren't the same size as 6.00x12's. Also, sizes of tires vary GREATLY from brand to brand

Edited by - ATF on 09/10/2010 00:07:46
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  00:11:44  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Mike, you forced me tho crush my treasured book in the scanner.
I was just questioning the statement that flotation tires are not used for plowing. Unfortunately the only photos I could find on line did not show them plowing which you think bolsters your argument. I always was taught in school that most statements with the words "never" and "always" rarely stand the test of closer scrutiny. Forgive the poor quality of this photo but I split the spline of my book trying to copy it.

It may be hard to make it out but that is 7ea 16 or 18" bottoms being pulled by a tractor with 24" high flotation tires. There are still today tractors out there (maybe not in OK) doing tillage with high flotation tires and if I look hard enough I am sure I will find photos.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  00:33:27  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"BTW, 6-12's aren't the same size as 6.00x12's." Please enlighten us on the differences.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  02:01:08  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

"BTW, 6-12's aren't the same size as 6.00x12's." Please enlighten us on the differences.

A 6-12 is 2 inches shorter than a 6.00-12. Of course you are right about the use of never, but it also goes both ways. I've seen many product brochures showing people and equipment being used totally wrong, backwards, or in a unsafe manner. The guy taking the pictures knows absolutely nothing, except how to take pictures. I'm not saying that this is the case here, BUT I've seen a lot of tractors being used, I've used/driven a lot of tractors and none had high flotation tires, because high flotation is required for certain jobs, plowing drilling, and tilling aren't usually one of them. the pic you posted was of a guy dragging a seven bottom "semi-mounted" plow, but I don't see any dirt actually being plowed, not on either side, not sure if the picture is accurate or real. I seriously doubt if a farmer would use or have those tires for most farming chores. It really depends on the farm, how big it is, what it grows, and a multitude of other factors. I'm not sure where this is going or why, but I'll just say, yes they do use high flotation tires, but not in the majority of farm work, but since they use them for some things then your right. My point/opinion that wider tires don't always work as well, aren't really as wide as they say, are more expensive, seems to have no value, since no one has argued or discussed any of those points. The only value seems to be in proving that farmers use high flotation tires, and I am wrong, okay, nothing new. I was just tying to give the people the benefit of my experience/opinion in buying 6 complete sets of tires on 6 different tractors in the last six months. I don't have any trailer queens, I don't farm or garden for a living, but I do go out and plow, cultivate, till, scrape and mow with everything that I have running, not just for the enjoyment but to try and determine what works best. Sometimes there is no right or wrong, but what you prefer. I just offer my opinion for what it's worth, not saying I'm right or somebody else is wrong, because this is a hobby, and in no way do any of us make a living with these machines. Truth be told with a pocket full of money I can buy a new tractor just as good, maybe better. So it's really all about personal preference, just as owning FDT's versus RBT's are a preference. I guess I'm a little perplexed about why your playing devils advocate for somebody elses tractor, without knowing what it's end use might be, but that's okay, I don't mind. I don't have anything better to do than to sit up all night typing and fritter away the afternoons in the shop surrounded by tractors.

Edited by - ATF on 09/10/2010 02:10:17
Go to Top of Page

thepatriot

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  06:04:57  Show Profile  Visit thepatriot's Homepage Send thepatriot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's still quite a bit of farming here where i live in CT.I've seen many tractors with big wide tires plowing ect...If i ever get a chance i'll snap some pics.

Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  07:27:21  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They use the wider tires almost exclusively here for farming. The theory is about soil compaction, the wider the tire, the less compaction of the soil. While hardly anyone uses the moldboard plow anymore in our area, the chisel plows and field cultivators they use require every bit of horsepower and traction available.
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  07:58:46  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great, Lets all post every tractor you can find with wide tires, we'll change the name of the thread to "Post Tractor Pics With Wide Tires, I don't care. The point is if you don't have wide rims your not getting wide tires. why would you buy a 23.10.50-12's put it on a 8 inch rim and get a 9.50 inch wide tire when a a 10.50 is 25.00 more per tire, than a one inch smaller 8.50 which will work as well or better on most size of GT's. It doesn't matter how many pics you post, wide tires on garden tractors don't always translate into better performance. I can post 1,000 pics a day of tractors for sale from craislist ads and maybe have a handful with wide tires, so is the point of this thread prove Mike wrong by posting pics of tractors with wide tires, okay. Sheesh, all I was trying to get across is your not always getting what your paying for, AND the performance of these wide tires is not always what you need, I'll shut up now, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  08:00:06  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"the pic you posted was of a guy dragging a seven bottom "semi-mounted" plow, but I don't see any dirt actually being plowed, not on either side, not sure if the picture is accurate or real." Wait, wait, let me stop and wrap my head with duct tape! Oh my goodness Mike, so if I go out and find a tractor plowing with flotation tires and take a picture then it is not valid because I don't know anything about the efficiency of the tire on that tractor??? Your statement was that you (we) don't see tractors running extra wide flotation tires. I suppose you don't and won't but I see plenty. The place I don't see wide flotation tires running is in the furrow and in row crop work just because they physically don't fit down in the furrow and don't fit the rows not because they are inferior. Farmers match their tires to what the tractor is going to be doing and soil type.
To say that flotation tires are not used in tillage and draft operations and seem to have no value other than to make a tractor look good is just incorrect. I think duels have pretty much supplanted the wide flotation tire because as you say they are extremely expensive but also the tractor is more versatile when you can remove the duels and use it for row crop work and running in the furrow. IMO we should all be running tracks for heavy draft and tillage work as they are many time more efficient than any tire.

In regards to garden tractors the only application where I can see that they would be a liability is in pulling the moldboard plow. As long as they don't interfere with your attachments they should work as well or better than a narrow tire in all other applications. Price is another thing... if I owned 20 tractors I would be be running anything that was round and could hold air.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 09/10/2010 08:11:30
Go to Top of Page

thepatriot

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  10:38:14  Show Profile  Visit thepatriot's Homepage Send thepatriot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ATF,the 23x10.50's are the FACTORY TIRE SIZE for my tractor.So i believe it has the correct wheels for this tire size also.I wasn't sure if you were aware of this.

Edited by - thepatriot on 09/10/2010 10:42:50
Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  12:12:16  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you're saying though, I have 23x10.5 AG tires on my 2110 with stock wheels, and they don't look anywhere near as wide as the 23x10.5's on my 7016 because of the wheels they are mounted on. If I had read this post before ordering those AG's for my 2110 I probably would have stuck with the original size. It is good info to have to weigh your options before plunking down hard earned cash.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  20:04:23  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using 440 magnum off road tires on my B112. They are 24-8.00x12NH ATV tires and though they have an aggressive tread that bites well in the garden they also seem to be gentle on the turf. They have a narrow stance and high profile.

I really needed some tires and rims when I got the tractor. The RR tire and rim were shot and a mismatch. I found a 4 tire set some slightly used ATV tire on craigs list for $75 and sold the two wider tires I sold to the fellow I sold my Kubota G1800 to. I kept the smaller tires for myself.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 09/10/2010 20:05:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic