Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 15765 / Visits Today: 14017
Highest Active Users: 15765
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 roper rear engine rider
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doc

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  03:44:05  Show Profile  Visit doc's Homepage Send doc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know where I can get info on a Roper brand rear engine riding lawnmower or is there anyone here that has some knowledge about them. My 11 year old son wants to buy a rear engine rider so he can earn some money this summer. I found a roper but never heard of it. It is pretty cheap and my son is paying for it. I'll just be the one working on it. In my day we used push mowers to earn our money but today's lazy computer crazed kids want to earn money the lazy mans' way. He won't go for a pusher or even a self propelled one, it has to be a rider. I've searched the net for info on the Roper and came up empty.
Doc

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  12:48:03  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
doc, I remember seeing a Roper rear engine rider at some point. I recall not being impressed. Have you considered an old Ariens rider. The company is still in business and the Ariens design is simple and was ubiquitous before the ztr's took over the market.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

doc

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:29:04  Show Profile  Visit doc's Homepage Send doc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had thought of Ariens,Snapper, and some others. The guy that has this mower is supposed to send pics today. He said it's in real good shape for it's age and the motor runs real strong. there is one of those articulated Bolens (I believe) on Craigslist thats pretty cheap but the transmission doesn't work. Is a cute little thing though. I would like to get him a early wonderboy if I could find one. Here in Wa. we don't have the luxury of the quantity of tractors like back East and the midwest. So when we see em we better grab em. Thanks Phil, I always like to hear your input.
Don
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:42:38  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doc

Thanks Phil, I always like to hear your input.
Don

I have my accountant send you an invoice.
I would certainly love to see pictures when you get. It would be interesting to see how good my recollections are.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 05/02/2010 13:46:09
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  17:04:26  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doc it sure is too bad you don't live near Minneapolis. There is a real nice Ariens rear engine on Craig's list today for $125.00. These mowers had a neat feature. To take up less room in the garage they had a stand built into the back of the mower. You picked up the front end and the whole mower would stand on the back bumper. I think this one was 11hp.
Good luck in your search. Nice to hear your Son wants to work this summer. The time you two spend together on this project will never be forgotten by either of you. Enjoy.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

doc

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:30:52  Show Profile  Visit doc's Homepage Send doc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the pics today of the Roper. Doesn't look too bad. The guy that has it said it fired right up today. He said it always starts easy. He said he hasn't used the mower in 5 years so he wanted to check it out and it worked just fine. He knows it's for an 11 year old kid so he wants it to run right. I told him for the money that my son is paying for it he shouldn't worry about it. I should actually be happy he's doing it , saves me time and energy on it. Well I'll try to see if I can get the pics on here. Nope pics aren't going to work ,they're too big and I don't know how to shrink them. I never have any trouble putting the pics on craigslist, but on the forums ,I just can't seem to do it. When my oldest son comes over I'll have him show me how to do it. It's what he went to college for.
Don
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  07:20:32  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Doc, I just realized that I don't have the authority to place your pictures in your post on this forum do I am posting here. Hope this is ok.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  07:40:35  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
doc, your right it does look to be in good shape. How much does the owner want? It may give the youngster good service for a while but the chain drive is a dirt and grit magnet.

In "commercial" use even a HD well built, machine like the AC/Simplicity large frames and like take a beating.
I seem to remember that AC's warranty was abbreviated or did not cover tractors in commercial service. The reason I said Ariens is that they had a chinchy looking friction disc and wheel, drive that worked amazingly well and was absolutely simple and foolproof. I suppose the friction wheels are still available. I remember looking down my nose at my friend's Ariens but time and practice proved them to be a durable system even with his juvenile antics.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 05/03/2010 07:42:45
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:20:25  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of a cute little bugger. Just might surprise us and go for a long time with no problems. Dixon had open chains on their mowers for years (I had one) and they were very popular in their day. This will give your Son an excellent opportunity to learn the importance of proper maintenance.
Have fun,

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 05/03/2010 10:21:12
Go to Top of Page

doc

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:23:08  Show Profile  Visit doc's Homepage Send doc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he's only asking 75.00. i think he's only asking that because he knows it's going to an 11 year old. i think i popped something in my shoulder last night putting the chickens away. am going to the doc this afternoon to see. excuse the typing errors.slipped on the poo and caught myself with my bad arm.it was doing real good. she had to reattach 2 tendons and i think one came loose.
doc
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:40:08  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That gives me the willies. Take it easy on yourself and give it time to heal. I don't think I've ever met a chicken that's worth the pain your going through. I know the critters need tending but please be careful.
Take care!

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

doc

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  14:54:48  Show Profile  Visit doc's Homepage Send doc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just got back from the doc and she thinks that i tore the biceps tendon loose. she's gonna leave it alone. she said that it won't make much difference in the movement and strength. i really didn't want another surgery.i had the same operation on my other arm last dec and it's still healing, got most of my strength back but there are some things that are still very difficult. puts my resto plans on the 4041 on hold for a while. pick it up on thursday then just go out and oggle it for the next 4 or 5 weeks before i can really dig into it.
thanks to phil once again for helping me with the pics.
don
Go to Top of Page

oldyellr

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:01:36  Show Profile  Visit oldyellr's Homepage Send oldyellr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an 8 hp Roper RER mower a few years ago. I got it from my neighbour, whose kids had put a rod through the side by letting it run low on oil so I patched the crankcase and replaced the rod. It finally died when the crown gear in the transmission stripped some teeth. It was a great little mower. I replaced it with an old John Deere 68. The JD is a workhorse, but doesn't have the H-pattern transmission my Roper had. Not sure what kind the one doc was looking at has. Did you get it and is it working well?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic