Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1100 / Visits Today: 172
Highest Active Users: 1100
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 My Opinion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:56:12  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont usually do this but I see alot of questions about frontend loaders. they are not hard or expensive to build. This will be my third one I used 2x4s to fine tune my design and check all clearances a little ingenuity and some trial and error are all it takes. I can build or alter anything and most anyone can if they try. if you want usable and dont care that its not stock then do it yourself. If you dont have the tools im sure there are some guys in or around your neighborhood who have the tools who wouldnt mind helpin out. If any of you live around central Illinois your welcome to use my shop two scrap yards close by all the metal you would need. Im a builder not a buyer(only because the little ones like to eat for some reason). Heres some pics if anyones interested. I also have a Allis Chalmers 917 now a 918 with a homemade 3 point electric hitch i built last summer thats never here, someones always using it. Put a ford alternator on it just to run the hitch works better than factory. More pics to come later. http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/dsts2005/

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  12:54:46  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I built my FEL from scratch also, for the same reason....cost!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  13:44:58  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way that sicklebar came with my mid 60s landlord, it could possibly be bartered for a sears ss16. Anyone interested let me know and ill get numbers if there are any and more pics, but that will be only deal.
Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  19:26:35  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can either of you (or anyone else, for that matter) post a picture of the FELs that you have built. I'm planning on doing the same, and would prefer to avoid any pitfalls you have already run into and overcome. Why reinvent the wheel? I'm somewhat concerned about the lifting capacity of the linear actuator. Is that a concern? I know it clutches out at its top and bottom limits, but does it do the same when it's overloaded, and at about what weight? I've already got a plow blade; can I use the mount from it for the FEL? I recognize that it will be a pain to switch. Thanks.

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  19:42:30  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can view my loader pics at link below. Guest password is: cow2cow
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/MF1650%20Modified/

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  19:44:50  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your clutch in the actuator will prevent overload & clutch whenever overload conditions come to play.
Are you intending on building a FEL using linear actuators? Never seen that done.

Go to Top of Page

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  20:16:00  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not much of a photographer and havent taken many photos of projects sorry. But I am getting ready to start building another one as soon as my backhoe project is finished and I will take photos. I have only used hydraulics so I cant help much with the actuaters. But one important place to not overlook is front spindles and steering. Do the spindle upgrades and go power steering if possible your arms will thank you for it. Power steering can be added easily if you can find a broken donor tractor or ebay. I got my power steering off a Deutz that had been parted out.
Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  13:53:15  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since I've already got the electric lift on my Simplicity Baron, I was leaning in that direction. I won't need too much power, or lift height, since I only plan to use it to move and spread mulch, loose dirt, compost, etc. I'll bet I could even rig up a simple, manual dumping mechanism with a latch to dump, and then lower the bucket while backing up to reset it. Have any of you tried, seen, or heard of anything like that?

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  14:49:23  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you would like a Johnny bucket. Or I have seen a certain someone around here building something similar from a front dozer blade. Definitely on my list of gotta haves!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  17:25:06  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Ill give this a try. If all you need is a johnny bucket I built this "Charlie bucket"(of Willy Wonka fame). It goes on three point hitch and I just lower it down to ground to relatch after dumping. I built it from a wheelbarrow and some old handrail. Well I have no idea how to post picture.
Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  19:01:37  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a "Charlie Bucket" is exactly what I need. When I tried (and failed) to post a picture the problem was that I had spaces in the file name. For some reason only a simple form such as "picture.jpg" will work.

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  19:16:05  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I try to post picture it says its too big, hahahaha never heard that before.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  19:34:50  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by notso

When I try to post picture it says its too big, hahahaha never heard that before.

You need to reduce the picture to a size under 90KB. also it is best if pictures are no more than 750 pixels in width.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  19:36:18  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow that was a pain. Not a computer guy here. This is Charlie bucket.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  20:43:43  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks like the old slip scoops they used to pull behind a team of mules.

Now that you have learned how to post pictures you can catch up on it.

we like pictures.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

coldr

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  13:48:27  Show Profile  Visit coldr's Homepage Send coldr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a pretty slick looking scoop. I also found these plans on the net: http://www.tapintothenet.net/vintagefarmplans/gtb.html
I'll build one or the other, depending on weather I come up with an old wheelbarrow or some 1/8" steel plate first.

Denis
7013S

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic