Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1070 / Visits Today: 1070
Highest Active Users: 1070
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Durango frame got wrapped up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  09:51:21  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Once you have made up your mind Michael, stick to your guns. You are the one who needs to be happy with the outcome, with your vehicle situation and your finances. If it doesn't feel good to you, don't listen to someone else, even me!

I'd say this sums it up as well as anything,

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  16:42:36  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am taking all of this in. I am leaning towards the repair and not giving up on the salvage title. What I'd like to turn this conversation is a high quality restoration. How I can prep the replacement frame so I don't get surface rust, what I can do to make the truck better and then I am going to go for a stated/agreed value insurance policy. I'll explain the financials later, but I am still tweaked on the fact that an accident can mess me up like this.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  20:24:26  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How far are you going to take the frame down? If your starting with a bare frame you might consider galvanizing. they do it with boat trailers and they seem to last forever around here. I would stay away from any spray on finish. As soon as you get a rock chip in the coating rust will spread under it and can actually speed up the rusting as that spot is slow to dry after getting wet. We also had poor results with powder coating for this same reason.
Just out of curiosity are you going to be using your old suspension as much as possible? Might be a good time to replace body and suspension bushings.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 04/16/2015 09:51:46
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  21:46:03  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

In this state, Louisiana, a salvage title is a death sentence for your values regardless of the condition of the vehicle. However, If you plan to drive the wheels off it, it is of little concern.

That is why what a piece of paper says on it means nothing to me, I always drive them until the next stop is the shredder.

I would say Chris's advice is sound, I know nothing of the galvanizing but thick coatings like powdercoating and the like get ugly in a bad way once chipped. The cosmolene? coating used on some years of vehicle frames does not work. We had a 2009 Chevy in the shop recently and we had the bed off for repairs. Several people commented on how rusty the frame was which it really was only surface rust but looked nasty due to the coating peeling off in sheets. You can sure bet those peeling spots would do a fine job of holding road salt so it could soak in good. I'd be more inclined to use a good strong etching primer and black paint after a good cleaning over pc or undercoating.

I'd say the suspension going over would be a good idea too, no doubt you have some wear parts on there way out. These ungreasable tie rod ends are usually going or gone by the mileage you have.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  12:39:57  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

How far are you going to take the frame down? If your starting with a bare frame you might consider galvanizing. they do it with boat trailers and they seem to last forever around here. I would stay away from any spray on finish. As soon as you get a rock chip in the coating rust will spread under it and can actually speed up the rusting as that spot is slow to dry after getting wet. We also had poor results with powder coating for this same reason.
Just out of curiosity are you going to be using your old suspension as much as possible? Might be a good time to replace body and suspension bushings.

I would Replace the body to frame bushings. New A-frame are cheap. I had new ball joints but don't trust a-frames. New motor mounts manifolds stainless brake lines. I'd mint the frame as the body was mint and I already was attacking surface rust. I figured 8 more years of tractor boat hauling plus.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2021 :  06:46:18  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Six years later and I am still maintaining this vehicle. After the repair job, I've since learned of the NH Oil solution and I've had many comments from repair shops which do the needed brake, tire and alignment repairs. I've gotten the truck to a reliable state for now, I will need to get onto the body cancer again soon. That I'll do a combination of paying someone else and my own fixes. I don't know if I ever concluded that I squeaked under the requirements of a salvage title in time and just under the repair costs which would have driven that. I now need to keep my repairs on this vehicle timed to a maintenance cycle such that I don't end up with another totaled situation. Sad, but if you maintain your vehicle with all the money and then someone else damages what you have invested, you can loose all that investment. Thus at some point I may need to think of some classic car insurance for this vehicle.

Michael
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic