Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2428 / Visits Today: 38
Highest Active Users: 2428
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Bee Keeping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  15:55:00  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do any of you keep Honey Bees? I am in the process of building a horizontal hive, swarm catchers and guide comb frames for next years garden season. I would love some insight if any of you have experience.

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  16:00:46  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My dad took up bee keeping after watching what my neighbor did. Both houses had bee hives. He built the centrifuge out of a clean garbage can and a bearing on the bottom to extra the honey from the honey comb frames. There is only one queen bee in the hives and he had the hood/smoke to get into the hive to get the honey comb frames. I don't remember much from there, but if you had a question, I could ask him... he's in his 80's and I'm sure he'd recall a lot.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

lilypad

USA
638 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  01:58:47  Show Profile  Visit lilypad's Homepage Send lilypad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have kept bees for several years but am trying to get out of the business (hobby). There is a facebook page on top bar hives and lots of stuff on line about beekeeping. You need to know the first rule of Beekeeping: "There are no rules." The second rule of beekeeping is: "See rule one."
I never had good luck with my topbar hive and went with the standard in an 8 frame format. Last couple years I started the year with one hive and always ended with 4 o 5 five hives to again the next spring end up with one again. Last year (2019) I didn't process my honey but put the 3 honey supers in a freezer and processed them with 2 supers collected this year and ended up with about 10 gal of honey. I give most of it away for presents to friends. It's an interesting hobby but if you ask 10 beekeepers a question you will get from 10 to 20 answers. I would recommend looking for any local organization or beekeepers because what works in one area will often not work in another area. There are so many variables such as weather and what plants are available to the bees. Plant populations can vary considerably just a few miles apart. I would be happy to answer any questions but remember the 9 other beekeepers questions. Read what you can online but remember much of it is questionable for your situation. Good luck with the bees. Hope your not allergic to bee stings, because you will get stung. I will give one specific piece of advice that must be heeded: "Manage you mites."

RLM
Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  20:46:07  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lilypad

"There are no rules."

I can do no rules. I've been reading about mites and beetles, thank you for the heads up. Also, I will look into joining a local group.

I built 2 types of 21 frame Layens hives, 3 swarm traps and what feels like a million frames this week. I hope to build some roofs tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

lilypad

USA
638 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  00:30:58  Show Profile  Visit lilypad's Homepage Send lilypad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking hives. I have Layens book and I think they are more viable than other top bar hives. Good Luck. It's a fascinating hobby.

RLM
Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  18:22:24  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could only get one roof made today. My shop is a mess, my apologies.

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  16:14:14  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out standing work there! I think my dad bought the standard hives, but he made his extraction tool.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  16:10:32  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Grandson works in the bee, honey business but I know nothing about them. Your hives look nice and you'll have to keep us informed on how things work out for you.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  19:14:30  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good Count.Do you have enough property to support your hives. Are you in an orchard area or clover growing area. I have an apiary/destination fun farm near me. They estimate that there are over 6 million bees in their hives. I am about 2 miles from them and during the summer when the clover in my lawn blooms I have many of these honey bees collecting pollen from my lawn.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  20:49:53  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

Looking good Count.Do you have enough property to support your hives. Are you in an orchard area or clover growing area. I have an apiary/destination fun farm near me. They estimate that there are over 6 million bees in their hives. I am about 2 miles from them and during the summer when the clover in my lawn blooms I have many of these honey bees collecting pollen from my lawn.

I own 80 acres of old horse and cow pasture fields. Old apple trees, clover (except in my lawn), mint, blackcaps, wild rose and milk weed are abundant. For several years I have talked about keeping bees, I just got the itch this year after I was given 3 traditional Langstroth hives. My research shows Langstroths aren't the best for the types of winters we have in NY, this is why I decided on taking a shot at building my own hives.

Here is a picture of my favorite apple tree on the property.

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  18:51:04  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful big old apple tree.Bees will love that.In my area we have a lot of orchards and berry farms so the bees are kept busy.Trouble is that nobody plants buckwheat around here anymore. I love buckwheat honey.Last place I found some was in a flea market in Florida. I bought enough to last me for several years.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  21:11:32  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Trouble is that nobody plants buckwheat around here anymore. I love buckwheat honey.

It's been decades since the last time I've heard of anyone planting buckwheat around here. I sure like buckwheat pancakes.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Count Macula

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  10:40:52  Show Profile Send Count Macula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was getting anxious that I wasn't going to catch a swarm this year. I come home and check my traps after work everyday, and nothing. Last night, I went out on the golf cart like always and there were bees in 2 of my 3 swarm traps! Im super stoked!
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2021 :  00:04:32  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
there were bees in 2 of my 3 swarm traps! Im super stoked!

Great! I hope your hives work out for you.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

ByronC

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2021 :  04:46:23  Show Profile Send ByronC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought 2 jars of honey from a local bee keeper. One was just honey and I don't remember what he said it was called but the other had honeycomb in it which I really like but he said it was clover honey and did not taste as good as the other. Well, he was right. I wish I could remember what he said the first one was. It is delicious.

Byron---Allis-Chalmers

The Few, The Proud, The Orange.
918H Agco-Allis, and a 928D Grasshopper Diesel.
D-21 Allis-Chalmers
Allis-Chalmers Tech for 7 years.
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4405 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2021 :  13:02:40  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try to get the lightest color honey available. Usually has the good flavor. Grandson is pretty good about providing what we need. Wife has started putting honey in her homemade bread. Boy does that taste good.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic