Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 27548 / Visits Today: 1030
Highest Active Users: 27548
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Help needed for my head

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mike Dahms Posted - 05/18/2014 : 20:13:40
Attempting to clean up and repaint my 45 year old 300421. Got to the last headbolt and no go. Turned very tough for about 15 degrees when I decided I should stop. What do I do next? Thanks for any help.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lilypad Posted - 05/20/2014 : 01:41:57
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

Using a tiny ball peen hammer (or any tiny hammer), tap the bolt head several times "lightly" after applying whatever penetrating oil you use. Work it back & forth a few times, then repeat the whole process again & again until she comes out.

Never use force, always use a bigger hammer!
BRAD1975 Posted - 05/19/2014 : 22:24:16
i like the hammer method too...

a good sharp smack ..some penetrating oil and a lot of patience usually works
olcowhand Posted - 05/19/2014 : 17:55:54
Using a tiny ball peen hammer (or any tiny hammer), tap the bolt head several times "lightly" after applying whatever penetrating oil you use. Work it back & forth a few times, then repeat the whole process again & again until she comes out.
midnightpumpkin Posted - 05/19/2014 : 17:01:46
Try the old stand by 50% ATF 50% Acetone mix, for penetrating oil. It works better than any commercial product know to man!

Let it work for at least 24 hours, then try to work the bolt back and forth. I would not use an impact gun of any sort, if the bolt snaps you are in for a lot of work as you well know.

John U
olcowhand Posted - 05/19/2014 : 15:48:53
Chris, my Ridgid impact driver has 120 foot pounds, and I've broken off 5/16" bolts with it. But then it's variable trigger. Chris guided you right Mike!
Cvans Posted - 05/18/2014 : 22:16:03
Couple of things. Flood the area around the bolt with penetrating and let it set over night. Then try turning the bolt back and forth to work the oil down around the threads. Keep adding penetrating oil and you should be able to work it the rest of the way out. If it stops turning start the process over again from that point.
I don't know if you have an impact driver (not an impact gun) or not but this can be use also. install a 3/8th's drive socket to fit the head of the bolt. Use penetrating oil and drive the bolt in and out until it loosens up. An impact gun can be used also but you need to keep it turned down so you don't twist off the bolt.
Good luck.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1