Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 28212 / Visits Today: 1694
Highest Active Users: 28212
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Bee Keeping

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Count Macula Posted - 11/09/2020 : 15:55:00
Do any of you keep Honey Bees? I am in the process of building a horizontal hive, swarm catchers and guide comb frames for next years garden season. I would love some insight if any of you have experience.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cvans Posted - 06/15/2021 : 23:18:58
Too bad Al isn't still around, he'd enjoy this thread. He liked his Bees.
ByronC Posted - 06/15/2021 : 05:49:31
That is cool. A friend of mine once had a bee hive in a barnyard. He and his uncle brought a cow into the yard to do something with and the cow got crazy and knocked the hive over. Lee and his uncle both were stung multiple times as they ran away but the poor cow took the brunt of it.
Cvans Posted - 06/10/2021 : 14:03:26
That's pretty neat. I didn't realize they would do that.

Count Macula Posted - 06/06/2021 : 18:21:58
Decided today to check on the swarm, I was curious what they could do in 5 days. They had 8 of the 21 frames in the hive available to them and they had all 8 frames with comb drawn out about 1/4 to 1/3 the way down. I gave them 2 more frames and moved the follower board. These ladies have been pretty busy.

Count Macula Posted - 06/05/2021 : 13:01:40
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

That's pretty neat. Did you find the swarm or did it find your hive?

They had been scouting the hives and the swarm traps in the woods for a few days they just decided to move straight into the hive.

I was bent over leveling the grave stones in our pet cemetery, when all of a sudden the humming was overwhelmingly loud. I stood up and was in the middle of the swarm.
Cvans Posted - 06/03/2021 : 21:25:59
That's pretty neat. Did you find the swarm or did it find your hive?

lilypad Posted - 06/02/2021 : 02:12:18
Catching swarms is fun.
Count Macula Posted - 06/01/2021 : 16:46:19

We caught a swarm today! I was able to witness it from start to finish. The whole thing was over in less than 40 minutes. It was amazing!
Cvans Posted - 05/21/2021 : 13:02:40
I try to get the lightest color honey available. Usually has the good flavor. Grandson is pretty good about providing what we need. Wife has started putting honey in her homemade bread. Boy does that taste good.
ByronC Posted - 05/17/2021 : 04:46:23
I bought 2 jars of honey from a local bee keeper. One was just honey and I don't remember what he said it was called but the other had honeycomb in it which I really like but he said it was clover honey and did not taste as good as the other. Well, he was right. I wish I could remember what he said the first one was. It is delicious.
Cvans Posted - 05/12/2021 : 00:04:32
quote:
there were bees in 2 of my 3 swarm traps! Im super stoked!

Great! I hope your hives work out for you.
Count Macula Posted - 05/05/2021 : 10:40:52
I was getting anxious that I wasn't going to catch a swarm this year. I come home and check my traps after work everyday, and nothing. Last night, I went out on the golf cart like always and there were bees in 2 of my 3 swarm traps! Im super stoked!
Cvans Posted - 11/21/2020 : 21:11:32
quote:
Trouble is that nobody plants buckwheat around here anymore. I love buckwheat honey.

It's been decades since the last time I've heard of anyone planting buckwheat around here. I sure like buckwheat pancakes.
B10Dave Posted - 11/21/2020 : 18:51:04
Beautiful big old apple tree.Bees will love that.In my area we have a lot of orchards and berry farms so the bees are kept busy.Trouble is that nobody plants buckwheat around here anymore. I love buckwheat honey.Last place I found some was in a flea market in Florida. I bought enough to last me for several years.
Count Macula Posted - 11/17/2020 : 20:49:53
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

Looking good Count.Do you have enough property to support your hives. Are you in an orchard area or clover growing area. I have an apiary/destination fun farm near me. They estimate that there are over 6 million bees in their hives. I am about 2 miles from them and during the summer when the clover in my lawn blooms I have many of these honey bees collecting pollen from my lawn.

I own 80 acres of old horse and cow pasture fields. Old apple trees, clover (except in my lawn), mint, blackcaps, wild rose and milk weed are abundant. For several years I have talked about keeping bees, I just got the itch this year after I was given 3 traditional Langstroth hives. My research shows Langstroths aren't the best for the types of winters we have in NY, this is why I decided on taking a shot at building my own hives.

Here is a picture of my favorite apple tree on the property.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1