Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 718 / Visits Today: 718
Highest Active Users: 718
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Projects (mechanical/electrical)
 Need help from automotive gurus

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
skunkhome Posted - 07/16/2014 : 21:53:52
My daughter drives a 1996 Honda Civic that has been in the family since new. In general it is in pretty good shape and only has about 140000 miles.
She complained last week that the brake pedal felt funny and seemed to sink while waiting at lights . I test drove it and it stopped sure and true and the peddle seemed steady. I checked the pads and shoes and they were well within limits. The next day I was driving the car and I experienced what my daughter was had reported. At lights the peddle will settle and you have to press harder to keep the vehicle stationary. You can release the peddle and press again and it will catch and hold for a bit but then sink again. When stand outside and my daughter works the peddle I can hear the RPM increase 50 or so RPM. I think I have it figured out but would like to have your input.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BRAD1975 Posted - 08/06/2014 : 22:50:49
well im a bit late at seeing this but my first checks would be for leaks

then id do a pedal test....slow pedal pushing and fast pushing

if it stays hard after a sharp press but soft bleed down on a slow press i would think its the sealing cups in the master

bad booster will usually make an easily heard vacuum leak hissing sound inside the passenger compartment

so is it fixed?...what did it end up being?

wlewis379 Posted - 07/19/2014 : 12:28:10
You may want to check the abs sensor. Very common problem in ford Rangers. I have replaced them in the 2 rangers I have owned.Dirt collects in the sensor ring and blocks the sign wave to the senor pickup. You may be able to flush the ring out with brake cleaner by removing the sensor and spraying brake cleaner through the sensor housing. I have done this a few times with good results.
cheaper than buying a new sensor.

allisstuff Posted - 07/18/2014 : 17:53:09
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

Thanks guys. I thought it was the booster.

If it was the vacuum booster loosing vacuum, the pedal would get hard but it would not sink/drop towards the floor. Master cylinder would be a likely cause, but pull the wheels and see if the caliper piston dust boosts are bulging. If the caliper piston seal is leaking fluid, it will leak past the seal into the dust boot causing them to bulge.

Also, make a check of all the brake lines and brake hoses to make sure you don't have a brake fluid hydraulic leak. A leak will cause the pedal to sink also.

Regarding your comment about having to push harder to hold the vehicle stationary. I would expect that if you had an internal leaking or bypassing master cylinder or an external leak, once the affected master cylinder circuit bottomed out, it would not be able to generate any additional pressure in that circuit and if there is a leak, the pressure in that circuit would drop to near zero, than you would then be working on a half system, where only two wheels, likely opposite diagonal brakes, would be functional and the pedal effort would likely double.
skunkhome Posted - 07/17/2014 : 21:07:28
Thanks guys. I thought it was the booster.
olcowhand Posted - 07/17/2014 : 13:01:08
I vote master cylinder as well. The slight rpm change is kind of normal as the booster bleeds off vacuum.
Cvans Posted - 07/17/2014 : 00:31:28
I have to agree with Rich. Master cylinder would be my first guess.

B-16_IC Posted - 07/16/2014 : 22:13:32
Generally I diagnose sinking pedal as a leaking master cylinder. But with this newer stuff I am open to other explanations. Of course that's where I would start.
oldron Posted - 07/16/2014 : 22:08:35
My guess,leak in the Hydravac or what ever they call the power brakes now.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1