Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 827 / Visits Today: 827
Highest Active Users: 827
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Bush Hog Restoration
 JBI Diesel Repower Project

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
olcowhand Posted - 01/11/2011 : 17:47:17
When time allows, I will be taking my "parts" JBI Bush Hog tractor & planting a Kubota D1005 3 cylinder diesel into it. This will be a long drawn out project, but hoping to get it driveable during summertime. I just bought a 2 ton asphalt crack sealing machine & drove 250 miles to bring it home. Was a bit of a gamble, but at $336 purchase price and another $150 for the trip, it's not a real financial gamble as the steel alone will bring nearly $400 in scrap price. The gamble was driving so far for the engine, not knowing if it was repairable. Seller claimed he put a battery in & turned it over & sounded fine, but it would only turn 3/4 round & hit solid. Not a metal to metal sound...more like ice in a cylinder. He also claimed exhaust was covered all the time. Over an hour of heat gun running on the block & she finally melted out. After just 1/2 a days work, the engine runs like a dream! Only 1299hrs on the Hobbs meter, so nothing for a diesel. Idles at 45psi hot. Not sure why, but the water pump was off, so cut a new gasket, installed, & put the radiator back on, & she's ready to go.

Here's a short video clip of the Kubota engine running.
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Kubota%20Diesel/?action=view¤t=MOV00227.mp4

Here's the rough JBI it will go into. I plan to put in a Massey rear end & hydro so I will have a 2 speed rear end. LOTS of mods coming to this tractor. The parts are just stacked on, not in proper positions.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
olcowhand Posted - 07/23/2011 : 20:23:43
Not gotten to the painting yet. Been really too hot to paint as it tends to orange peel from drying so fast, even with proper temp reducers. This has been a tough year for me to get anything completed.
simplelife Posted - 07/23/2011 : 20:17:40
Just saw the video, missed it somehow earlier. Towards the end it reminded me of the earlier days of drag racing when the push vehicle followed the car down the track. You can see the jump pack in the chase vehicle and just brought back that strange memory.

Awesome sounding tractor and the way it spreads the dirt at high speed it is almost a tilled finish.
ByronC Posted - 07/23/2011 : 17:17:29
Daniel,
This topic must have been one I missed. I just love the video. Geeezzzzz Dan, you could throw dirt across two furrow's if you wanted to..

Did you ever get to painting it up fancy like???..

If so.... Pics!Pics!Pics!Pics! :)
Cvans Posted - 07/21/2011 : 22:52:32
I have to agree with the lathe. That did speed things up.

olcowhand Posted - 07/21/2011 : 16:47:53
The only hard to get tool I used was my lathe to build the driveshaft/flywheel adapter, and the plasma cutter. I could have done without the plasma cutter & either used a torch or a cut-off wheel. All the rest was common tools, time, planning (head scratching),and lots of patience.
Cvans Posted - 07/21/2011 : 16:36:40
It is fun and it is surprising how little it takes if you just focus on one step at a time. Having the tooling and welding experience helps but that is part of the fun. The next thing you know it's time to smell the diesel.
Ezra Posted - 07/21/2011 : 15:14:07
WOW you guys are having alot of fun with this stuff. I wish i had the equipment to do some of the stuff you guys are doing.
B10Dave Posted - 04/10/2011 : 22:45:29
That looked like so much fun you could use it for stress relief therapy. Works good Daniel. Can't wait to see it finished and painted. Dave.
superbinder Posted - 04/10/2011 : 22:33:24
Nice plowing.How about a shot of the 2 bottom plow. thanks
Cvans Posted - 04/10/2011 : 22:28:28
That is just nuts Daniel. I don't think I have ever seen a plow throw dirt like that. You give that tractor throttle
with the plow down and the tractor doesn't even know it's back there. Great job!
acb10_64 Posted - 04/10/2011 : 21:59:46
Thanks for the pics and video! Man that thing zings right along! Nice work!
olcowhand Posted - 04/10/2011 : 15:46:47
Oh, also forgot to tell about the Georgetown, Ky plow day....my original hydro gave out 20 minutes in. The charge pump quit on me. So I just watched everyone else plow, but still had a good time. The NOS hydro & differential now reside in the tractor!
olcowhand Posted - 04/10/2011 : 15:43:44
Oh yeah, I hadn't showed the fenders I made from 1/8" sheet metal! Since I took these pics, I added seat rails welded direct to the fenders, that you can see in the video.

olcowhand Posted - 04/10/2011 : 15:40:58
Getting the JB Diesel "Boss Hog" ready for Vevay, Indiana plow day on the 16th. The NOS hydro & differential seem fine, but wanted to test her out. So took to the field with the 2 bottom double 10" plow. It pulled mighty hard in our tough soils, but mainly because this is a single speed differential & gearing is just too high for a seriously hard pull. So I dropped the one plow & went single 10"......and it'll walk the dog! I just leave it full speed at the hydro & adjust speed with the throttle. What I need now is a single 12" plow. I also shot some primer on her to make it not as redneck for plow day. Here's a video starting with the 2-bottom, then me with the single, then my BIL Fred on the last of the video. Fred likes to video his fingers! LOL At least his nails are clean!
Watch Fred (look for the green hat) in the last of the video when he opens the throttle. This beast doesn't know a 10" plow is even back there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox4E98IJaSc
olcowhand Posted - 03/14/2011 : 08:48:28
I thought about using large brake line, but going low-buck and I have the hoses already. When I pull her apart to do painting (a year or more possibly), I think I'll lay in some tubing then, as she goes back together. Right now things are overcrowded, but with apart, it would be easy to route the steel line.
The engine is rated 22 1/2hp continuous, 27hp intermittent. Heading to "The Parker Store" for my fittings in a few minutes.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1