Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2125 / Visits Today: 2125
Highest Active Users: 2125
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Allis Chalmers and Simplicity Garden Tractors
 Buying/Pricing Guidelines
 Simplicity Broadmoor 6116 and alternatives

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PStechPaul Posted - 02/13/2012 : 23:48:41
I have a 1967 Broadmoor 375 (see introductions), with a mower deck, dozer blade, and chains. I was going to look at a Cub Cadet diesel with a deck, blade, and tilt cart, but he wants $1600 for the package: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/2836277538.html

I just found someone near me who is selling two Simplicity Broadmoor mowers for $250 and $100, OBO for both. I could not find the model in the information section here, but I'm sure I can obtain it elsewhere. However, perhaps you can give me some personal experience and advice. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/2848609089.html

My property is 2.5 acres, but the area that needs to be mowed is less than 1 acre. It has steep hills and lots of trees, and there is a fairly large meadow at the top of the hill which is accessed by a rough dirt road that is partially washed out. You can see some of what I need to mow in a video: http://youtu.be/AEARanFjW-8 and http://youtu.be/MNOLgALlZuY.

So I really don't need a very large mower. But I would also like to be able to get up the hill and bring firewood down. So a cart would be helpful, and a front end loader attachment might be even better. That might also be handy for snow removal, and the way my property is configured a dozer blade might not work very well:

I had a guy with a Bobcat clear the lower part of my property to get firewood as you can see in the background.

I dug the rest by hand. But the Bobcat tore up the road:

That was during the big snow two years ago, and it was too deep for my 4WD truck:

So, the other thing I might need is a way to spread some gravel on the dirt road you can see above, and the road that leads up to the meadow. For that, I think I'd need a good size loader, and maybe a push blade or a rear scraper blade. Or maybe I should just hire somebody, like the guy with the "Bobcat" (actually a New Holland skid steer), and he could take care of it for a few hundred bucks. Then I could do just some touch-up and maintenance.

I don't really know the capabilities of small lawn and garden tractors. I only used my Broadmoor a couple of times because I had problems. And my previous yard toy (my big cat) was a bit bigger :
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
canawler Posted - 02/17/2012 : 08:15:00
quote:
Originally posted by Richard L.

You're looking to build an electric tractor look for a GE. They made some pretty stout models for a few years awhile back. I almost had one but another guy beat me to it. There's a site devoted to them somewhere I think, do a Google search. I think they even had another brand that was the same tractor that was red.?? Toro or something. Lots of attachments too.

The GE electrics were pretty neat. It would definitely be worth your time to check out how they did things before you try to reinvent the wheel as far as electric tractors go. They were called the Elec-trak. When GE got out of the tractor game, they sold the design to Wheelhouse.

As far as the Cub steering goes, no its not correct for the steering wheel to make half a turn before the wheels move. It could be something easy like rod ends but that wouldn't be my luck....
Richard L. Posted - 02/16/2012 : 23:42:58
You're looking to build an electric tractor look for a GE. They made some pretty stout models for a few years awhile back. I almost had one but another guy beat me to it. There's a site devoted to them somewhere I think, do a Google search. I think they even had another brand that was the same tractor that was red.?? Toro or something. Lots of attachments too.
PStechPaul Posted - 02/16/2012 : 22:42:36
I joined MyTractorForum and it seems to fit my needs for general discussion of various brands. Thanks for the link. I looked at the Cub Cadet 1512 today, and although it ran well, the steering seemed "mushy". He said he had replaced the column with a used part, so I think there's a problem. He said that all steering has free play, even cars, except for Porsches and Mercedes, but even my ancient Simpicity is tighter than this thing, and so is my 1999 Saturn with manual steering. It's not normal to have to make a haf-turn on the wheel for the front tires to turn, is it?

I think I'll pass for $1300, maybe I'd go $800. I saw a new 20HP Ariens Hydro at Home Depot for $1300. And all the new tractors had only a coupe inches of easy pay before meeting resistance and moving the wheels.
canawler Posted - 02/15/2012 : 08:12:29
quote:
Originally posted by PStechPaul

I just called the guy and said I probably could go $1200, and he said he would agree to $1300. I plan to look at it tomorrow when I'm in the area, but I think I will just get a better "feel" for the package before closing the deal later. Anything in particular I need to look at carefully? I'm not too worried about the retrofit alternator and need for a larger battery. As an electronics engineer, I can handle most of those issues. Thanks!

I'm not a Cub expert by any stretch. If you're thinking about that one you really need to ask for advice from people who are into Cubs. There are several Cub Cadet specialty forums that I'm not really familiar with so I'm going to recommend two general garden tractor forums with Cub Cadet sub-forums. Either or both, mytractorforum.com and gttalk.com (this is an opening page, select forums.) The Cub sub-forums at both sites have some very knowledgeable people who will be able to give better advice on what to look out for on that model.
PStechPaul Posted - 02/14/2012 : 19:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by canawler

The Broadmoors in the ad you posted are NOT what you need.

I know in the other thread it was mentioned that the Cub was expensive and while it may be, just be aware that diesel garden tractors command a premium. The Cub ad doesn't list hours and I saw that the charging system has been messed with so I have no idea if its a good deal or you should run away. I will say I haven't seen many diesel GTs listed much cheaper than that around here.

I just called the guy and said I probably could go $1200, and he said he would agree to $1300. I plan to look at it tomorrow when I'm in the area, but I think I will just get a better "feel" for the package before closing the deal later. Anything in particular I need to look at carefully? I'm not too worried about the retrofit alternator and need for a larger battery. As an electronics engineer, I can handle most of those issues. Thanks!
PStechPaul Posted - 02/14/2012 : 19:37:21
It's actually a TD-340 ca 1965, but I don't know what the difference is. I thought it stood for Turbo Diesel. I paid $3100 for it, in 1987, and used it to rough cut the access road you see in the picture above. I bought manuals for it, and also brakes, but the rollers and the idler wheel were shot, and the repair would have been about $3000 or more, which I didn't have. So the track came off a couple of times. I finally sold it for $1500 around 1990. It was a good machine, and I think the combined hand brake/clutch was easier to use than the Cat dozers which had foot and hand controls. Mine had a foot brake as well, but the brake pads were worn, and replacing them involved splitting the sides which was way too big a job for me. I found a video of a T340 dozer, but it has a 5-way blade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVL86Eas4eU His other video shows more detail and it seems like it's a gasoline engine: http://youtu.be/UQ9rq92zKvk
olcowhand Posted - 02/14/2012 : 16:49:29
Hey Paul, isn't that a T340? I own one, but mine is a Hi'Lift.

Dee Posted - 02/14/2012 : 16:38:32
Sounds like you're contemplating many options. Perhaps something like this will help you in your decision process.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/66CD60CD-ABB3-494B-BC66-6DD0452C5B21/2633/pub2900lawntractors2.pdf
PStechPaul Posted - 02/14/2012 : 16:04:00
OK, I think my best bet now is to wait for a really good deal. But I also need a small simple lawn tractor that I can use for mowing and maybe hook up a trailer to carry wood, or to transport my push mower up and down the hill so I can use it for places I can't access with the tractor. So I think I'll pass on the diesel Cub Cadet and the Broadmoors, unless maybe the newer Broadmoors would meet those immediate needs and also give me a parts machine. I'm sure I'd get a decent tractor for about $300, and maybe my dozer blade from my 1967 model 375 would fit the newer machines.

Or maybe just get a small rider mower where everything works, probaby for about $300-$500.

I would also like to know if it's worthwhile to restore the Broadmoor I have, or try to retrofit it with a more powerful diesel engine http://www.harvestchapelmission.org/page/9-6-high-speed-air-cooled-diesels (about $600), or a 16HP gas engine http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-16HP-GAS-ENGINE-CAST-IRON-SLEEVE-E-START-16-HP-/170672262858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bcdc0eca for about $380. But the rest of the tractor is in questionable shape and it would probably cost a lot to fix everything, and then I'd still have a small tractor that probably won't meet all my needs.

Since I'm thinking about making a diesel-electric hybrid tractor, maybe I should just keep looking for a good deal on a fairly new tractor with a blown engine. If so, what models do you think would be good candidates? I'd probably use a 5-10 HP three-phase motor and eight 12V batteries (96 VDC) and a DC-DC converter to get 360 or 720 VDC for a 240V or 480V VF motor drive. For the hybrid idea I'd probably just add a 4000W generator to charge the batteries if needed, but mostly I'd probably go with plug-in rather than haul a generator around. Eight 35 A-H batteries would provide about 3500 W-H, or 1 HR at 4HP average. That might be enough. I'll post separately with more details about my proposed project. Where should that be?
canawler Posted - 02/14/2012 : 11:19:23
The Broadmoors in the ad you posted are NOT what you need.

I know in the other thread it was mentioned that the Cub was expensive and while it may be, just be aware that diesel garden tractors command a premium. The Cub ad doesn't list hours and I saw that the charging system has been messed with so I have no idea if its a good deal or you should run away. I will say I haven't seen many diesel GTs listed much cheaper than that around here.
skunkhome Posted - 02/14/2012 : 10:53:58
Paul, I suppose you understand that you are talking to enthusists here and our preferences have little to do with what we need. I live on a quarter acre yet I own two large frame tractors. The thing I like about the large frame tractors (not to be confused with the powermax which are really early compact agricultural tractors) is that large frame tractors are designed to pull or push ground engaging impliments. I do not have a FEL but I do have a Johnny Bucket Jr that has a payload of approximately 250 lbs. yet is a fraction of the cost of a FEL. With 42" and 48" mowers you will find the large frame easily maneuverable yet fully up to the task of mowing an acre or more.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/14/2012 : 06:15:31
I'm not real familiar with the other brands of machines out there, but based on your needs, I would suggest a large frame Simplicity or Allis counterpart. I prefer the older stuff, because it holds some fascination with me, but they are VERY effective. The Broadmoor's you mention are considered lawn tractors, and not garden tractors. I beleive they offer some attachments, but nothing heavier duty like a loader. Around here, you can find a great package of, say, a Simplicity 7116 (hydrostat trans, and maybe a hydo lift), mower, blower and probably a tiller for about $6-900. To me, that's a lot of tractor with plenty of capability. If you find a Kwik-Way loader, I'm sure it can be adapted, and that machine will have the guts to handle it.

An Allis HB-112/212 or Simplicity 3112H/3212H would be an earlier tractor with hydrostat trans, probably a hydrolift and did have a loader offered for it, though they are somewhat hard to find, and pricey. They are a easy to maintain and will get a lot of work done. They have grader blades, etc for them that it sure looks like you could use.

If you really want a loader, I would look for one that is setup on a decent machine, and go from there, as that's the difficult piece to nail down. I've seen some mean WheelHorse loader setups, and even some Sears. The newer you go, the more dough you're going to spend to get one. There is a newer Simplicity Legacy here, with a loader, for the bargain price of $4500. I'm sure he paid double that or more new.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1